289-302 (roller) dipstick ????

randy66gt350

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jan 11, 2003
utica, mi
I have a 66FB that I'm putting a late model 302 into (crate shortblock from Summit-It's a Ford service shortblock). I am building a Shelby clone w/ an original SN60 type blower, so I have to use the early timing cover w/ the dipstick in it. I discovered over the weekend that this block has a dipstick hole in the block...What should I use to plug this?

• Sponsors (?)

randy66gt350 said:
I have a 66FB that I'm putting a late model 302 into (crate shortblock from Summit-It's a Ford service shortblock). I am building a Shelby clone w/ an original SN60 type blower, so I have to use the early timing cover w/ the dipstick in it. I discovered over the weekend that this block has a dipstick hole in the block...What should I use to plug this?

ronstang took a similar diameter piece of steel rod, filed down the end into a partial point, then tapped it in the hole. on my current motor, it is just filled with copper RTV, since it is not under any pressure this works nicely as well

randy66gt350 said:

Hey, run two dipsticks.
Ha Ha

Roy.

Use the JB Weld or wooden dowel method if the engine is in the car. If the engine is on a stand, you can use a 3/8" drill bit to open that dipstick hole ever so slightly. Then, run a 7/16-14 tap through it and install a matching threaded plug. A short Allen-head bolt works well (smear some Permatex 1 or 2 on the threads). If the engine is ever used with the rear dipstick, the hole is still close enough in size that a blob of black RTV will seal it up.