289 runs good 2 hours later runs like crap

David A

Sep 20, 2018
Beaufort, SC
Another problem with the 289. I found the timing chain had some slop so I replaced it thinking that was the problem. Wrong. I’m thinking there is a problem with the distributor. It’s really frustrating when it runs fine one minute but let it cool off a couple hours and it runs really bad. Anyone have any ideas ?

• Sponsors(?)

David A

Sep 20, 2018
Beaufort, SC
The motor seems to rev up ok. It just won’t idle unless the timing is advanced about 20 deg and I know that’s not right. When I take the the distributor out I noticed I can turn the shaft back and forth a little while holding the bottom gear. Either that or I didn’t get the timing chain sprockets just right.

rbohm

SN Certified Technician
Apr 12, 2002
tucson,az
The motor seems to rev up ok. It just won’t idle unless the timing is advanced about 20 deg and I know that’s not right. When I take the the distributor out I noticed I can turn the shaft back and forth a little while holding the bottom gear. Either that or I didn’t get the timing chain sprockets just right.

another possibility is the balancer ring has slipped

David A

Sep 20, 2018
Beaufort, SC
Did I mention that I installed a new balancer also as well as a new timing chain? I think I’ll just tear the timing chain cover off and recheck if the dots on the sprockets line up. I also adjusted the rockers. Maybe I got them too tight?