2FAST Vette vs. 97GT scared me (#%@less)

gsixl

Founding Member
May 21, 2002
Kansas
Ok picture this, small town in Kansas on Oklahoma border. Friday on way home after a hot day at work. Bright red convertable new body style vette with 2FAST personalized tags. Hot dogging each other leaving town he tries to cut me off didn't work. OK now at city limit bridge on Arkansas river 45mph I punch it in 4th gear and watch in rear view to see if he's going to play. Ok it looks like he is playing so I stay in it, now at 120 and he is dropping back? This is a four lane with a curve to the right and then a curve to the left and you are back to straight for two miles to the border where the 4 lane turns into two lane. At the curves I slip it to 5th and ride out the curves he comes on and passes me on the second curve. I stay if 5th and punch it again now that we are straight and a 1/2 mile later I am on his tail. We are running against a 35mph headwind the wiper plades on the stang are lifing off the windshield. Traffic in right lane we pass them I slip back into 4th and pull up beside hime in right lane. Ok this is where we merge to 2 lane we are side by side and he can't seem to take me he is near the median and being squeezed. Now he lets off and I go on. I am still shaking I am selling my stang it is just to damn fast. OK I am for real and this is a true story did he just run out of balls, or is the stang really that fast? I have done mods running 3.55 gears.

• Sponsors (?)

I am sure he did but whats with the tag. OK vague what. My stang, I have ford racing shorty headers, ford racing 3.55 gears, KN filter, Steeda underdrive pulley's with steeda timing adjuster, Ford racing 70mm throttle body, Ford racing clutch, Hurst billet plus shifter, Ford 17 cobra wheels and tires, stock H pipe, 2 chamber mufflers. The car runs flawlessly with these mods and pulls hard. I had a 77 and 84 vette and they wouldn't touch this stang. But I know the new vettes should blow me away, or will they? I did test him that is all I can say. If he had it why didn't he use it.

OK maybe the rag top was beating him on the head. The head wind was gusting to 45mph. I couldn't sleep thinking about it. But I wonder how he slept? Maybe he will get rid of the over priced piece of C#$P. Or at least get rid of the tag.

gsixl said:
I am sure he did but whats with the tag. OK vague what. My stang, I have ford racing shorty headers, ford racing 3.55 gears, KN filter, Steeda underdrive pulley's with steeda timing adjuster, Ford racing 70mm throttle body, Ford racing clutch, Hurst billet plus shifter, Ford 17 cobra wheels and tires, stock H pipe, 2 chamber mufflers. The car runs flawlessly with these mods and pulls hard. I had a 77 and 84 vette and they wouldn't touch this stang. But I know the new vettes should blow me away, or will they? I did test him that is all I can say. If he had it why didn't he use it.

Nice list! I still think he would have beaten you, but then i dont know jack about vettes :shrug:

If he had C5 with a 6 spd it shouldn't have been a contest. Even an auto should take the GT even with your mods (no offense). Either he ran out of balls, or sucks at driving.

Good grief you would think I posted this in the vette forum. Fool yes you may be right, but maybe we are all fools. You are here looking for some little way to make your stang faster, better or whatever. We are spending our money on upgrades and what for? A stock stang off the showroom will run faster then any of us will probably ever get it up to. I was getting nervous with the wiper blades flopping on the winsheild at 130 it had a lot left. I am sure if I had a tail wind and not a head wind in it would have been so nerve racking.