3.90 problem fixed (complex story!)

keepsbreakin

Dec 4, 2003
Remember my past post "3.90's aren't great".....

Well, I got it fixed. Speedcal still screwed up, but we figured out the problem with my gears. We didn't count the teeth, and it didn't dawn on us with such a bigger pinion. I was sent 3.08's and that is what was put in. Got the 3.90's put in yesterday. Big time difference. Here is what happened:

When I ordered the gears, the salesman typed "3.90" in on the invoice. Well, he had to get the gears shipped from the Chicago warehouse (they're in another part of Illinois) so he accidently typed in "3.09" on the shipping request. The warehouse took this as "3.08" and shipped me 3.08's. The box was not marked with anything, and the invoice said 3.90. I wanted them in, and my uncle had other work he was doing, so we put them in not thinking. The sales guy figured this out within seconds of me calling him, asking why these gears suck. He said it was his fault and he would take care of it. He had the 3.90's sent next day air to me. I will be sending the 3.08's back. Either he's dyslexic or types too fast. As long as it is fixed. The Speedcal remains to be the problem.

• Sponsors (?)

Glad to see that it wasn't serious, but it does suck that you have to have it installed again. Let us know how you like them for real. Also what brand did you get - Motive or Pro 5.0? I like this option and am heavily leaning towards this ratio.

:rlaugh: sorry i just found a little humor in that. but i'm really glad it wasn't something worse & it was a fairly easy fix for you. since it was family doing the install for you, did you get charged????? if you did, i'd see if you can get them to pay for labor charges :shrug:

That's great that you figured it out. What a stupid mistake by the salesman. I've been leaning towards the 3.90's for some time and I think that I will take the plunge and buy them in next two months. The 3.73 v/s 4.10 debate is sickening so I'm going straight for the middle with the 3.90's. What brand did you purchase. Right now I have 3.55's. How big of a difference do you think the 3.90's will be. ;)

My install is free. My uncle is the head mechanic at a small shop owned by his friend, and I am basically the junior all-around greasy jobs and coffee making mechanic. One day I will finish all my ASE tests. I went with the Motive 3.90's. They are great. Ford should have put these gears in from the factory. The car is fun to drive now. I need lower control arms though. I already sent out for a new Speedcal. The other one was broke period. It wouldn't have worked for any gear ratio. I had the same debate between 3.73 and 4.10. I probably should have got the 4.10's for the track, but I live in Texas. A lot of highway driving here. Track is 60 miles one way. I drove a 3.73 car and it felt like it needed more. Don't know about a 4.10 car.

lol, i dont mean to be rude, but that is hilarious!! :rlaugh: i could just imagine your facial expression as you gunned it w/ 3.08s!!! :rlaugh: and we thought 3.27s were bad!!! lol glad you got it all cleared up tho