3.9L V6 Has EVAP issue

ZaimD

Jul 18, 2019
Kansas City
Hello, I have an '04 3.9L V6 Mustang that has a couple minor issues I wanna get fixed up. The most concerning of which is when I fill up some gas leaks from under the fuel filler, I figure I have a cracked filler neck seal, the engine light is on and the code reads something for the EVAP system. My question is, could these 2 things be connected? Also the windshield washer stopped spraying the other day.There is fluid in the tank and the nozzles arent clogged so I'm leaning towards the motor having issues. Is there an easier way to access the motor than having to take the front quarter panel off? Also if anyone has the Service Manual and/or IPC and is willing to share it would be greatly appreciated, I tried to search for it on here but came up empty. Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

The most concerning of which is when I fill up some gas leaks from under the fuel filler, I figure I have a cracked filler neck seal, the engine light is on and the code reads something for the EVAP system. My question is, could these 2 things be connected?
Yes. Anything that would allow gas vapors to escape would cause an EVAP DTC.

Another common failure point that would allow gas to leak during fill up could be the filler neck rotting out. Especially under the plastic rock shield. A visual inspection is your friend. Guessing is not.
Also the windshield washer stopped spraying the other day.There is fluid in the tank and the nozzles arent clogged so I'm leaning towards the motor having issues. Is there an easier way to access the motor than having to take the front quarter panel off?
The Ford service manual says to remove the wheel and then take out the splash shield.

Also if anyone has the Service Manual and/or IPC and is willing to share it would be greatly appreciated, I tried to search for it on here but came up empty.
One possible source is AllDataDIY.com.