302 to 351 conversion question

63bird390

Nov 24, 2008
San Antonio TX
i have a 68 stang its a coupe. i currently have a mild 5.0 ho efi and t-5 combo. im really thinking of building a 351w.

what do i need to change? motor mounts and headers or will the 302 headers work?

i can converte the efi thats easy and i know how most here think the t5 trans is weak but that can wait.

the car fast now but im always partial to big blocks but dont want a 460 making it nose heavy or the manual trans to hold a 460's torque.

• Sponsors (?)

Stroke the 302 to a 347. It will make just as much power as a 351W.

And change those gears to something in the 3.75 range. You will be shocked at how much harder it will launch. With the T5 overdrive it will still be fine on the highway.

I agree with above post. If you were going to use a stock stroke 351, then a 347 is a better way to go. It will be lighter, quicker revving/accelerating, and just as powerfull. Now if you were going to do a 408 then that is another story.

To answer your question though you can use existing motor mounts. Headers I'm not sure, but i would say it's going to be awfully close to your floor if it fits at all. You may have to modify a bracket or two, and of course the intake will have to be changed. Most everything else should bolt on though.

Get ahold of Jay Allen @ Camshaft Innovations. If you go to Jay you will not be disapointed with your engine.

One word of caution: stepping up to a 408 is essentially like moving up to a big block, in that it will need to breathe and be cooled like a big block. So plan on upgrading fuel, cooling, & exhaust systems as well. Oh and don't forget about everything else in the driveline that will need to be upgraded. This gets expensive fast, just ask me how I know.