306, 331, 347 Crate motor ...??

mstangfrk95GTS!

Mar 20, 2004
ok heres the deal, im stuck in Afghanistan for the next couple months and when i get back im looking at dropping in a crate motor just to save time and hassle so i can enjoy the ride and not spend the whole time home wrenching.
i have some parts and a block but im thinking of selling the stuff. :bang: :flag:

thing is i dont have much internet acess and phones are pretty much a non issue so i need some advice.

heres the deal im looking at several different ones from DSS, CHP and Keith Craft.

id like to go with a 331 or 347 and my main thing is how many peeps have experiance with these companys motors?

what i want to know is what all was included by each firm, is it ready for induction and exhaust or does it need timing chain, Roller rockers, oil pump etc.....

for example CHP has a 306 that has AFR 185's and a Comp cam that looks pretty nice, but DSS has a 331 that is comparable in price. :shrug:

those of you that have gone this route give me some pointers and some lessons learned.

Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

Jacob9...the man is deployed to the butt crack of the world, fighting for your freedom to post negative *****, so cut the man some slack. He probably has about 15 min on a computer and thats maybe a week and he's using it to find some constructive help. Thanks !!

I have an Eagle 347 kit, with about 35,000 miles on it. I haven't had any problems with it. I would go with a DSS motor if you are going to buy a short block. They have been in the business a lot longer than their competition.

Kurt

so one for DSS and one for CHP

i have about 15 mins a day or so online thanks for your frigging support Jacob.

anyway so ive heard negative experiances with all the companys, but DSS seems to be the best is the searches ive done.

i managed to talk to someone online and it looks like its gonna be a DSS 331 crate unless something better comes along.

thanks Guys!!

i'm gonna say that yellow1995 is a little biased on the huge @ss blocks seeing as how he just dropped in a 418. Anyways, is it gonna be a daily driver when you get back? You gonna put any power adders or anything?

IMO if you're going to drop in a new engine anyways, why not go for the 347? Bigger is better.

donjohn said:
i'm gonna say that yellow1995 is a little biased on the huge @ss blocks seeing as how he just dropped in a 418. Anyways, is it gonna be a daily driver when you get back? You gonna put any power adders or anything?

IMO if you're going to drop in a new engine anyways, why not go for the 347? Bigger is better.

:rlaugh: Yea you are probably right

95GtTopLess said:
Jacob9...the man is deployed to the butt crack of the world, fighting for your freedom to post negative *****, so cut the man some slack. He probably has about 15 min on a computer and thats maybe a week and he's using it to find some constructive help. Thanks !!

i was being realistic. if i was over there putting bullets into those bastards everyday i would realize that buying stuff for the 'stang would have to wait until i get back home. i would spend the 15 mins of computer time using email to download naked pics of my girl. :D

you are the biggest deusch(sp) in the world man. Give the guy a fcking break he's in afganistan for God sakes. You ressurected an old thread to say that ****- you're such a retard i really hope you're kidding.

I talk about getting stuff all the time i don't plan on getting for another couple months- my freakin sig says that i'll get 3.73 but that wont happen for another 2 months cuz i don't have the money. You gonna start yellling at me and every other muscle car fan who talks about souping up their cars even though it wont happen until months maybe years from now.

Ever heard of plans???

donjohn said:
you are the biggest deusch(sp) in the world man. Give the guy a fcking break he's in afganistan for God sakes.

hey douchejohn,

i'm not giving him a hard time. just being realistic about the fact that he should put off the engine shopping until he's back in the states.

donjohn said:
I talk about getting stuff all the time i don't plan on getting for another couple months- my freakin sig says that i'll get 3.73 but that wont happen for another 2 months cuz i don't have the money. You gonna start yellling at me and every other muscle car fan who talks about souping up their cars even though it wont happen until months maybe years from now.

douchejohn,
gears/installation is like $500. you shouldn't have to put that on your wish list. :rolleyes:
btw, shopping for parts when u have the ability to actually use a phone and order them is ok with me. when i was shopping for rims/tires i did some research on this forum. once i found the ones i liked, i ordered them the same day and took delivery of them 1 week later.

no ****,

thanks guys.

i spend 90% of my of time putting together a budget and plan of action FOR WHEN I GET HOME!

that way there is just one thing to do when i get back, order the parts and get ready for the swap....

i guess unless youve been deployed you dont understand that your 15 minutes a day of crazy **** is surrounded by another 11 hrs and 45 mins of severe boredom.

thus, ive managed to aquire a few parts catalogs and a 6 inch stack of stang magazines for just this purpose.

MAYBE ill get it done before we go back to Iraq.......maybe not.

oh back on topic......

im gonna be ordering the DSS 331 Shorblock and some Performer RPM heads, ive already got the rest of the drivetrain waiting back home, now just need to settle on a cam......

anyone want to buy a Crane 2031 thats still in the Box?

Thanks again...most of you...for your Support!!!