Engine 306 oil leaks!

May 12, 2018
mass
hope someone can help. Dropped in a new 306 .upon start up the oil filter cracked at the base. Thought maybe bad filter. Replace it .started again and drove it home ,no issues. Took it out for a drive and rear main seal blew, ok maybe dry rot from sitting before i bought it. Replaced that ,drove it home no leaks. Took it out again and back of head gasket is leaking oil onto top of motor! And I found the pvc valve out of intake. Thinking too much crank pressure but I haven't put anything in the valve cover grommets yet. Don't want to replace head gaskets and have something else leak any ideas? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I'd like to see the engine compartment, maybe we can see something obvious.
20200706_163204.jpg

Yes to the mirror on a stick.

Have you caught any CSI episodes?
There are UV dye kits for various automotive fluids (at Advance Auto and the pro places.) Add the dye According to the instructions, run the car some, then use a UV flashlight. The leak should light up like bodily fluids on the TV show. I hear the orange goggles and blasting The Who help with finding the source.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users

There are UV dye kits for various automotive fluids (at Advance Auto and the pro places.) Add the dye According to the instructions, run the car some, then use a UV flashlight. The leak should light up like bodily fluids on the TV show. I hear the orange goggles and blasting The Who help with finding the source.
Lol thanks I'll look for it this weekend

You watch too much tv
A UV dye for an oil leak, seriously? Must be a millennial thing. UV dye $ + UV glasses $ = ?
You could take flower and a baster, blow some flower around the area and the oil will turn the flower dark and you follow it to the source. :doh: and if you're stealthy the cook will never notice.
DISCLAIMER: some of my advice has been criticized in the past and rightly so, I may or may not be old so are my musings old school or am I tricking you into looking ridiculous

The pro shops have been using UV dye on hard to pinpoint leaks, especially on messy engines, for at least since I was last a parts dept manager. So it’s not very new school.

It’s not for every leak, but if you are not sure, it can be a big help. The cost of a UV LED flashlight has dropped a lot recently, so that part may count as new school. The flashlights are often listed for finding pet odor areas on Amazon or eBay.

Dodge replaced the head gasket in my (then future) wife’s Neon twice before realizing it was the oil pressure sender o ring. That sure made the test dye and flashlight or poster bulb in a trouble light seem cheap.

Reactions: 1 users
UV leak kits can be very helpful in the right situation, I used one to verify an oil leak on my daughter's old Honda.
The glasses and flashlight can be had on Amazon for about $20, then you could get
either a one time bottle of dye for about the same price or larger quantities.

From your description it does sound like excessive crankcase pressure. If you are splitting oil filters and blowing out gaskets. The only time I have ever seen an oil filter blow out/pop etc. is when the oil pump was spun backwards. Had someone who was priming his engine and spun the drill clockwise, instead of counter clockwise and the filter balooned. I think your problem is bigger than just a gasket leak.

Chris

Now he mentions it, you may have more than one issue.
Have you checked the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge? The most frequent filter busting cause I have seen is a stuck it over jacked up pressure relief system. On cars with separate gears in a timing cover or oil adaptor housing, there is usually a piston, spring and or ball thst are supposed to move easily at the right max psi. In detachable oil pumps, it is a part of the pump.

Uv dye have been used for the last 30 year in all makes and models and is the best way to locate hard to find leaks. Life is hard enough don't struggle to find oil leaks. Now with that being said, check your oil pressure with a mechanical gauge, sound to me like the oil pump relief valve is sticking. I've seem pressure go as high as 100 psi on newer cars and the computer shuts the car down. (Stalls) our cars however don't use this technology, so it will cause seals to fail. Rear main seal popped out? oil pressure is where I would start. Do you have any idea what kind of oil pump is on your engine?

Reactions: 1 user
From your description it does sound like excessive crankcase pressure. If you are splitting oil filters and blowing out gaskets. The only time I have ever seen an oil filter blow out/pop etc. is when the oil pump was spun backwards. Had someone who was priming his engine and spun the drill clockwise, instead of counter clockwise and the filter balooned. I think your problem is bigger than just a gasket leak.

Chris
Uv dye have been used for the last 30 year in all makes and models and is the best way to locate hard to find leaks. Life is hard enough don't struggle to find oil leaks. Now with that being said, check your oil pressure with a mechanical gauge, sound to me like the oil pump relief valve is sticking. I've seem pressure go as high as 100 psi on newer cars and the computer shuts the car down. (Stalls) our cars however don't use this technology, so it will cause seals to fail. Rear main seal popped out? oil pressure is where I would start. Do you have any idea what kind of oil pump is on

Uv dye have been used for the last 30 year in all makes and models and is the best way to locate hard to find leaks. Life is hard enough don't struggle to find oil leaks. Now with that being said, check your oil pressure with a mechanical gauge, sound to me like the oil pump relief valve is sticking. I've seem pressure go as high as 100 psi on newer cars and the computer shuts the car down. (Stalls) our cars however don't use this technology, so it will cause seals to fail. Rear main seal popped out? oil pressure is where I would start. Do you have any idea what kind of oil pump is on your engine?
Melling hv