306 with E7's?

earleys94gt

Aug 31, 2003
Ashley, Ohio
Some of my stock piston rings are toast, and I thought instead of just re-ringing the stock block I would just get a 306 shortblock. Most likely from DSS.

The heads I have are E7's with 1.90 intake, 1.60 exhaust valves. Would these heads be okay with a 306? I also know that the stock intake and such will be a restriction, but I think the rings are more important right now :D. I also guess I could get the heads ported while the shortblock is being installed.

I will do some research in the meantime, but any comments, ideas and such are more than welcome. Thanks

Jeff

• Sponsors (?)

My only suggestion would be to go bigger on the cubes. The price difference from a 306 to a 331 or 347 isn't very much, typically being only a couple hundred bucks. You could always run the E7's on there and gain a little power over the 306, but have a solid shortblock for future mods. If you're interested in porting the stock intake, talk to TMoss. He can get some pretty good numbers out of a stock intake, since the lower is the biggest restriction. Or check out http://www.diyporting.com about porting the heads and intake yourself.

Thanks StangGT1995. I have always wanted to do a 331, but I just bought the heads and had then installed, and I wasn't sure if porting would be enough or if new ones would be needed.

I would say I would go no bigger than a 331 because I do not have the money right now to do my mods. right, i.e. transmission, rear end, suspension etc. Like I said before, I just had the heads, Steeda cam put on and wasn't sure if going from a 302 to, say, a 331 would require changing those. I know for maximum power, yes, but I do not race my car and am not made of money.

If you decide to go with the larger cubic inch engine, save some money for a new flywheel or balancer. That can be $400-$500 extra that you did not think about. Possibly a new clutch...

A 306 will be just fine. You may want to rethink where you get that 306 shortblock.

Good Luck!

whats wrong with dss

They are just regular blocks with forged internals. Drop in a forged kit w/ a windage try and girdle w/ the engine you have and its virtually the same thing. Its not an aftermarket block like the Man O War Block or something like that which is virtually bullet proof.

As far as the original post. E7's = yuck IMO no matter what you put them on.

Thanks for all the reply's guys.

5spd GT said:
If you decide to go with the larger cubic inch engine, save some money for a new flywheel or balancer. That can be $400-$500 extra that you did not think about. Possibly a new clutch...
I have an automatic, but I was looking at getting an Edge convertor...

Redline_351R said:
E7's = yuck IMO no matter what you put them on
Yeah, I know. I had a crack in my stock head and needed a replacement ASAP. I looked on Ebay and found the one's I have for cheap so got 'em.

I do know that the DSS engines are not aftermarket blocks, atleast the one I was looking at getting, unlike the Man 'O War. However, I am a limited budget and the DSS 306 shortblock seemed to fit the bill. Is there any other place that has the same 'engine', and price, as DSS but with better materials?

Thanks for all the reply's guys.

I have an automatic, but I was looking at getting an Edge convertor...

Yeah, I know. I had a crack in my stock head and needed a replacement ASAP. I looked on Ebay and found the one's I have for cheap so got 'em.

I do know that the DSS engines are not aftermarket blocks, atleast the one I was looking at getting, unlike the Man 'O War. However, I am a limited budget and the DSS 306 shortblock seemed to fit the bill. Is there any other place that has the same 'engine', and price, as DSS but with better materials?

There is nothing wrong w/ DSS just b/c they dont use aftermarket blocks but some people think b/c they get a built engine that they never have to worry about breaking anything either(not as if tons of us are breaking blocks/engines left and right do to insane HP either). I think a set of aftermarket heads would go very nice w/ the 306

It actually sounds like you really just need a re-manned shortblock in there.

What does DSS charge for a shortblock like the one you are talking about?

You can buy a low mileage Explorer engine for about $500. You can rebuild any JY 302 for about that.

I'd bet that you can go to Jasper or something and get a replacement with a warranty, for less than $1000.

If you are just looking for something to replace your stocker, there is no reason to pay big bucks for a name brand.

reddy351 said:
What does DSS charge for a shortblock like the one you are talking about?
The 306 I was looking at from DSS was around $1500. It is balanced, blueprinted and with forged pistons among other things.

I also found this site, http://treperformance.com/Block/ , they have one for around $1000. But I don't think it has the "goodies" the DSS has.

Everytime I look for engines in JY, they don't have crap. Then again, the yards around me suck. I guess I want something new, with warrenty, that I hopefully won't need to worry about.