31 spline axles....same wheelbearing.

OrangeMustangGt

Founding Member
Mar 7, 2002
Cape Cod, MA
I still have my stock axles with my 3:27 gears....There making alot of noise, so I really think its time to upgrade to 31 spline axles/trac-loc truck 31 spline carrier, and 3:55 gears. DO I need to use larger truck style bearings? thanks

• Sponsors (?)

nope you sure dont.
heres what i used:
03/04 Cobra carrier
superior 31 spline axles
ratek bearing and seal kit (axles came with the axle bearings and axle seals) (the kit had everything else)
and i put 4.30's in.
imo you wont notice enough difference to justify the price for 3.55's vs the 3.27's
at least go with 3.73's.

i recently upgraded to 31 spline also. i used 31 spline cobra carrier with moser axles and extended arp studs. i got my bearing/seal kit from tommy vaughn out of houston . the seal kit from them is like 25$ which is rediculously cheap compared to if you buy bearings and seal separate from your local ford dealer (im a ford parts person :).)
its a m1225b for the bearing/seal kit if im not mistaken. you can get the kit from any frpp dealer.

Thanks guys. The reason I want to change my gears is because they are LOUD at highway speed.....I bought some cheap, used 3:27s on ebay.....NEVER AGAIN, new from now on!

I also plan in the future to build a single turbo setup now that MA has no emissions for obd-1, SO I want to stay at 3:55 I think......3:73's were too short and the car wouldent even build good boost untill 2nd, 3rd gear

Thanks guys. The reason I want to change my gears is because they are LOUD at highway speed.....I bought some cheap, used 3:27s on ebay.....NEVER AGAIN, new from now on!

I also plan in the future to build a single turbo setup now that MA has no emissions for obd-1, SO I want to stay at 3:55 I think......3:73's were too short and the car wouldent even build good boost untill 2nd, 3rd gear

yea, i kind agree on that. im thinking maybe 3.73's might be too little gear for boostage