Engine 347 questions

BKM48198

15 Year Member
Jun 7, 2008
Ypsilanti, Michigan
I ordered a 347 short block with a TFS stage 1 cam to put in my 90 GT, I have a set of TFS 170-58 heads with 1.6 rockers, 24lb injectors and mass air. The car has an AOD trans with a saturday night special convertor and 3.73 rear gears. I do NOT plan to race the car, its a 1 owner car that I want to drive to work or cruise in, so I don't want 500hp, just more than what I have had. Besides the 28ox balancer and flex plate what else do I need? Any certain parts to get or stay away from? Any help would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

With a carefully selected cam, I would say you are good. I think the lightning 351’s ran 24 lb injectors. If I’m wrong, you might upgrade.
I would run a 70 mm TB and port match the throat of the Exploder intake as far back as the tools can reach. Then have Tmoss port the lower.

With a carefully selected cam, I would say you are good. I think the lightning 351’s ran 24 lb injectors. If I’m wrong, you might upgrade.
I would run a 70 mm TB and port match the throat of the Exploder intake as far back as the tools can reach. Then have Tmoss port the lower.
I'm thinking about getting the porting done over the winter.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think i'd waste my time installing that cam or that intake. Just work you are going to have to do twice. The intake, not a big deal since it's fairly easy, but no way i would put a 347 in the car with that cam.
Done right, you are going to exceed 24lb injectors, which will also require a new meter.
You already have the expensive part, the heads.
Since injectors and meters are close to a wash when sold and purchased used, you won't lose much, if any money (24's are more useful than 30's), then sell the cam and intake and you may find that you aren't as far from doing this once as you may think.

Do you have the supporting hardware already, ie, fuel pump, adjustable regulator (and gauge to set fuel pressure), sub frame connectors, etc.?
You'll need pushrods and shims (presuming they are factory pedestal mount type), a set of valve covers (modified factory or aftermarket).

I ordered a 347 short block with a TFS stage 1 cam to put in my 90 GT, I have a set of TFS 170-58 heads with 1.6 rockers, 24lb injectors and mass air. The car has an AOD trans with a saturday night special convertor and 3.73 rear gears. I do NOT plan to race the car, its a 1 owner car that I want to drive to work or cruise in, so I don't want 500hp, just more than what I have had. Besides the 28ox balancer and flex plate what else do I need? Any certain parts to get or stay away from? Any help would be appreciated.
Be careful on that balancer. 28oz imbalance 347 engines are rare. Almost everything is neutral balance now. Anything that bolts to the stock engine will bolt to that one. It's all a matter of what upgrades you want. Did you pick out an intake?

Kurt

I would rethink that cam, and maybe the intake, if this is a street cruiser

TFS1 is a cam that likes to make power at higher RPM. It really comes alive over 3000RPM, but it can be a little bit lacking under that RPM. With an AOD, most of your cruising will be under 3000RPM so you should really look at a cam that would make more power down low.

The explorer intake will favor low end torque, which will be good for a street cruiser, but it will choke down your 347. You can probably go with a TFS street heat intake and gain a lot of power over the explorer with a 347. You could also probably have the explorer intake ported.

Be careful on that balancer. 28oz imbalance 347 engines are rare. Almost everything is neutral balance now. Anything that bolts to the stock engine will bolt to that one. It's all a matter of what upgrades you want. Did you pick out an intake?

Kurt
Planning on using the explorer intake for now and get it ported or get a different intake over the winter.The build sheet shows 28oz..........
Competition 347ci Ford Parts ListBreak Down

q Forged TFS relief pistons flat top 7.5cc 4.030​

q File fit ChromeMoly Rings 4.030​

q Scat 5140 SteelCrank 3.400 Stroke​

q Engine is 28ozbalanced​

q A Set of Scat SIRrods 5.400 length​

q Large radiusMain and rod bearings​

q Seal Power cambearings​

q Brass FreezePlugs​

q ARP main bolts​

q TFS stage 1roller cam​

q Double roller TS​

Planning on using the explorer intake for now and get it ported or get a different intake over the winter.The build sheet shows 28oz..........
Competition 347ci Ford Parts ListBreak Down

q Forged TFS relief pistons flat top 7.5cc 4.030

q File fit ChromeMoly Rings 4.030

q Scat 5140 SteelCrank 3.400 Stroke

q Engine is 28ozbalanced

q A Set of Scat SIRrods 5.400 length

q Large radiusMain and rod bearings

q Seal Power cambearings

q Brass FreezePlugs

q ARP main bolts

q TFS stage 1roller cam

q Double roller TS​
@tmoss had a good turn around time when I got an Explorer lower intake ported. I would not put one on on that engine modified.

I would rethink that cam, and maybe the intake, if this is a street cruiser

TFS1 is a cam that likes to make power at higher RPM. It really comes alive over 3000RPM, but it can be a little bit lacking under that RPM. With an AOD, most of your cruising will be under 3000RPM so you should really look at a cam that would make more power down low.

The explorer intake will favor low end torque, which will be good for a street cruiser, but it will choke down your 347. You can probably go with a TFS street heat intake and gain a lot of power over the explorer with a 347. You could also probably have the explorer intake ported.
Most of my driving is on the highway and I was ok with the stage 1 in my current engine, I plan on changing the intake one way or another next winter as money allows.

Most of my driving is on the highway and I was ok with the stage 1 in my current engine, I plan on changing the intake one way or another next winter as money allows.
I think the TFS 1 cam will be fine. I don't want you to think that no 347 came with a 28oz imbalance, I just wanted you to be sure.

Kurt