$350 for Explorer intake + GT40 heads. Worth it?

Zero Signal

Feb 24, 2003
Tucson, AZ
I just talked to someone who has a complete 96 Explorer motor and would sell me the intake + heads (iron, non-P) for $350. I'm trying to decide wether it would be worth it or not. With all the costs of parts and possible machine work, I'm thinking it might cost around $800 by the time it's running. I don't know the condition of the parts either since I haven't seen them. What do you guys think?

My other option would be to maybe go with the intake and port it ($150) then get gears. That would be cheaper, but which would be more beneficial?

• Sponsors (?)

For the parts alone its cheap. And stock e7TE heads suck.

Now since the heads are iron, i dont think there will be much machining involved unless they are toast.

However, i went the iron headed route and now wish that i had waited and got aluminum's. But i bought these heads when i didn't know what i was doing:owned:

It's still only a consideration, but we'll see. I had originally thought had a deal going for an Explorer intake but it actually for just the elbow so I'll at least be getting an elbow adapter for pretty cheap.

I'm going to get pictures at least.

Yeah I'm going to do everything I possibly can to make sure the heads are in good running condition before even thinking of installing them. I think I'll take my time and port the intake as well. I'm gonna look at it and see if I can't get close to matching the Cobra runners. If possible, i might try to match the heads too, but who knows. You'll have to help me in the install process if I get the stuff.

I thought about getting a cam, but I don't think I want to go that far yet.

Send those gt40's to thumper, for the cost of mech. work, valve job, springs and checking, he can do all that and port the suckers. With the price of those heads and that intake you would still be getting one hell of a deal overall.

I wish I had sent my gt40's to thumper first instead of spending $200-250 on springs, and 300 on valve job/mill/tank/check that bill was right at $550.

if you want some pics of his work on a gt40 head let me know I have some realy good pics of mine.

It gets touchy now....350 plus 600.00 shipped for Thumper to do the heads...add in double springs for another 100.00 and your your knocking on a good set of used Alum heads...I spoke with Mike some time back and it woulda been around 900.00 complete, heads/PP/springs/Ferrea valves for a nice set of GT40Ps done up...but thats 900.00 bucks...gotta think that one thru as you'll never get 900.00 back...odds are you'll get 350.00 for those GT40s/Explorer though...

To me...GT40s are kind of a steppin stone...they can be cheap....take em apart, send em to get milled flat, get a SA port kit and clean em up some....a gasket set, some 1.7s and you should see a nice improvement for not to much cash... A budget build-up to me..

RIO5.0 said:
It gets touchy now....350 plus 600.00 shipped for Thumper to do the heads...add in double springs for another 100.00 and your your knocking on a good set of used Alum heads...I spoke with Mike some time back and it woulda been around 900.00 complete, heads/PP/springs/Ferrea valves for a nice set of GT40Ps done up...but thats 900.00 bucks...gotta think that one thru as you'll never get 900.00 back...odds are you'll get 350.00 for those GT40s/Explorer though...

To me...GT40s are kind of a steppin stone...they can be cheap....take em apart, send em to get milled flat, get a SA port kit and clean em up some....a gasket set, some 1.7s and you should see a nice improvement for not to much cash... A budget build-up to me..

He makes a good point......might as well get the aluminum heads..

But if you are going to port them yourself, then it's definately worth it.

The cam is cheap enough and doesn't really require anything extra to install. Might as well do it while you are in there......You should replace the timing chain though while in there.
Scott

Well I exchanged emails with Mike today. Although his prices are pretty damn good, for my purposes, I decided that it wouldn't be worth it. I'm leaning more toward buying a grinder and this kit http://www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.shtm and giving it a shot. My job wouldn't come anywhere as close in quality but I figure I would try my hand at gasket matching at least. It will give me something work on for a couple weeks. I'd be afraid of fullly porting them myself since I don't know what the GT40 cut section looks like. I want to avoid cutting through any port walls.

I'm still trying to justify the cam. How much more time would it add to the install and how much would it cost when it's all said and done?

How quickly can a project like this get done? Scott since you've done it, I figure your help would make it go quicker, but I probably can't afford to have it down for more than 3 days.

Also, how much does it normally run to get the heads hot tanked and milled?

The big factor here is the cost. I need to be really carefull with it. I can see the cost of this blowing up if I don't keep track of what I need and plan for it. Then, it would be a waste since I could just keep the cash, save alittle more and buy a KB1500 which I always wanted.

milled/springs/tanked/valve job cost me $550. (springs were .550 lift comp cams)

642232_13_full.jpg

642232_14_full.jpg

642232_15_full.jpg

642232_16_full.jpg

642232_36_full.jpg

642232_38_full.jpg

642232_39_full.jpg

Alot of pics fig this way you could ref. them as you go at least. The non-P heads can take alittle bit more porting but the P's are the ones that you have to be realy carefull of as they have a water jacket close to the exh. port.

Hope to get some soon, been sayin' that for awhile though. 99% sure I have the issues all sorted out and a solid tune down. Just need time to get to the track.

Job hunting has been taking most of my time. Good news though, I had my second interview with Anheuser Busch this morning so hope all goes well.......other wise still sending out resume's and walking into places. The first post-college job sucks to find it seems.