351 Cleveland Missing At 2300rpm

Dommie C

Dec 21, 2015
351 Cleveland missing at 2300rpm-need HELP!!!
I have 73 351 cleveland-rebuilt crate engine.
edelbrock AVS 650 carb
MSD Distributor
Engine has developed a miss/backfire at 2300rpm.
Not sure if fuel or spark or internal engine issue. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

+1 for tos's post

We don't have a lot to go from like how old is the rebuild, what ignition system do you run, engine specifics, etc. Bad gas, worn spark plugs, bad plug wires, vacuum leak, fuel delivery issue (i.e. leaky carb on one side or not enough fuel from a partially clogged filter, etc), ignition system issue (i.e. bad ground or bad signal), timing not advancing properly and so on and so forth. Could be one or many things depending on several factors.

351 Cleveland missing at 2300rpm-need HELP!!!
I have 73 351 cleveland-rebuilt crate engine.
edelbrock AVS 650 carb
MSD Distributor
Engine has developed a miss/backfire at 2300rpm.
Not sure if fuel or spark or internal engine issue. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Exhaust or carb backfire? I'd start off by pulling the plugs to see what they look like. Could be timing, flooding, plug fouling, sticking valve? How does it run otherwise? Idle?
exhaust backfire-pulled plugs and they are black as coal. Replaced plugs and ordered calibration kit for carb. I'm 99% sure this is problem, but I'm sure what/or how lean to go?? I'm trying to make sense out of the edelbrock calibration chart

exhaust backfire-pulled plugs and they are black as coal. Replaced plugs and ordered calibration kit for carb. I'm 99% sure this is problem, but I'm sure what/or how lean to go?? I'm trying to make sense out of the edelbrock calibration chart
Idles great-just replaced intake manifold gasket due to vacuum leaks. Rebuild only has about 1500 miles on it. At one it was popping through the carb, which we attributed to lean condition being caused by vac leak? Now vac leak is gone, engine is running super rich and backfiring at 2300 rpm. timing is at 10. MSD distributor with vac advance using the pertronix 3 coil.

Idles great-just replaced intake manifold gasket due to vacuum leaks. Rebuild only has about 1500 miles on it. At one it was popping through the carb, which we attributed to lean condition being caused by vac leak? Now vac leak is gone, engine is running super rich and backfiring at 2300 rpm. timing is at 10. MSD distributor with vac advance using the pertronix 3 coil.
Changed metering rods in carb with no result. Is it possible springs need to be swapped in MSD distributor?

I had a similar problem (running rich and black plugs) I adjusted my mixture needles and installed a Pertronix second strike ignition and now it runs great with no carbon fouling. This second strike is adjustable in 2 deg increments so you can tune it to throw that second spark however works best for you. it also has a built in adjustable rev limiter. I love it.