351?

2fast4u770

Jan 16, 2011
Been looking and looking and doing some research on what motor I want to run, either a 347 or 351 and maybe stroke it. Anyone running a 351 and if so how was the swap? Do you like it over the 302 base and why? How much power can the 351 hold? Will my stock 302 wire harness work with the 351? Aren’t most parts interchangeable. Also here is block that caught my eye? Seems legit, anyone have any experience or better knowledge

• Sponsors (?)

I've done couple. you can get plenty of power out of either, the only real "swap" parts you'd need are headers, an oil pan, and an A/C bracket, should you decide to keep A/C. The intakes are different, so you'd need a 351 specific intake. There's other small differences, but those are the major ones. As far as power, it depends on your goals. What are you trying to do?

I've done couple. you can get plenty of power out of either, the only real "swap" parts you'd need are headers, an oil pan, and an A/C bracket, should you decide to keep A/C. The intakes are different, so you'd need a 351 specific intake. There's other small differences, but those are the major ones. As far as power, it depends on your goals. What are you trying to do?
Goals is really a weekend car that will make passes on the drag strip every couple of weekends. My rear is pretty much built for the track now. The plan is turbo with maybe a 50 shot, and around 700hp would be great. Can a 90s 351 hold that power easy?

Why a 50 shot on top of a turbo? If you're thinking turbo lag, you need to do a lot more research. Have you been to the turbo forums? Spend some time in the build thread section and just read. Read several threads. You need to educate yourself on the right path, otherwise you'll chase your tail around and waste money without ever having anything to show for it. Find a build that you like and mimic what they did.

The link you posted doesn't really provide any info about what has been done to the block or what parts are included. I would shy away from it.

A properly aluminum headed 351 should make 500hp without trying too much. That same motor with a turbo should well exceed 700hp without the help of nitrous. My suggestion would be to mimic a build that someone else has already done. You will know the money involved, the parts involved and get to learn from their mistakes and failures.

There was a build on corral.net a few years back of a SN95 351 with a blower. I don't remember the power numbers, but it was pretty healthy.

Joe

I built my n/a 393w 2 yrs. ago an have been very happy with the performance, just a street car never on a dyno but I would guess 450-500hp.
I thought the swap was fairly straight forward nothing too difficult, if you do the work yourself you can save a bunch of $.
Deck height on the 351w block is 9.5 " so hood clearance could be an issue, imbalance is also 28oz compared to 50oz.
I purchased my 1969 block prepped from my machinist and spent a while gathering all the parts.
Fox wiring harness plugs up fine, if you're staying efi you'll need to widen the fuel rail crossover and give some thought how
you want to tune it. I tried to build mine a budget friendly as possible, off the top of my head I would say I spent $4k - $5k on the
build...the little things add up!
Here's an article for reference

Reactions: 1 user
I built my n/a 393w 2 yrs. ago an have been very happy with the performance, just a street car never on a dyno but I would guess 450-500hp.
I thought the swap was fairly straight forward nothing too difficult, if you do the work yourself you can save a bunch of $.
Deck height on the 351w block is 9.5 " so hood clearance could be an issue, imbalance is also 28oz compared to 50oz.
I purchased my 1969 block prepped from my machinist and spent a while gathering all the parts.
Fox wiring harness plugs up fine, if you're staying efi you'll need to widen the fuel rail crossover and give some thought how
you want to tune it. I tried to build mine a budget friendly as possible, off the top of my head I would say I spent $4k - $5k on the
build...the little things add up!
Here's an article for reference

Will a 1995 351w hold up to 70
Why a 50 shot on top of a turbo? If you're thinking turbo lag, you need to do a lot more research. Have you been to the turbo forums? Spend some time in the build thread section and just read. Read several threads. You need to educate yourself on the right path, otherwise you'll chase your tail around and waste money without ever having anything to show for it. Find a build that you like and mimic what they did.
yea I’ll do a lot more reading into it, most of the builds I see are older blocks and not EFI. I was looking into the 1995 351w

Will a 1995 351w hold up to 70

yea I’ll do a lot more reading into it, most of the builds I see are older blocks and not EFI. I was looking into the 1995 351w
Many will argue the older blocks are better. There's plenty of guys out there tickling 4 digit power with newer blocks too. I wouldn't worry about that.

Many will argue the older blocks are better. There's plenty of guys out there tickling 4 digit power with newer blocks too. I wouldn't worry about that.

I found a 5.8 out of a bronco for $200. Do you think that would be a starting point and block to work with; of course after I get the block machined and everything

With that year block easiest way to use a roller cam would be to use link bar lifters.
It would be a good block to use should support 700+
I paid $1200 for my 69 block machine work included, I would imagine you would end up
about the same amount after machine work.
If the motor is carbed , now easy is it to make it EFI, the only thing stock I will be reusing is literally just the block itself

So I have a choice of a few blocks
85 that is still in the truck and runs great$700 for the whole truck
79 block $400
93 block $300
73 complete the have small scratch in cylinder wall $400

I'm no expert, but what I've heard being around my uncle who builds mustangs almost exclusively (has a 67 & a 69 in the shop right now) is that a properly built 347 will out-power a 351 9/10. However, a 347 is (safely) maxed. A 351 can still be stroked at that point. What he recommends for the lighter foxbody is a 347 because of the albeit small weight savings. A 351 will also be somewhat limited by its bearings. They're bigger and will limit rpms.

HOWEVER - you CAN build a neck snapping 356W for a hefty chunk of change less than a 347. :rock:

Any will work, the 93 block may already be a roller I know it was around 93/94 when they made them.
If you're going from carbed to efi might be easier/cheaper to use something like Holley sniper or fitech.

Any will work, the 93 block may already be a roller I know it was around 93/94 when they made them.
If you're going from carbed to efi might be easier/cheaper to use something like Holley sniper or fitech.
If all I am using from the engine is the block it doesn’t matter if it was a carb or EFI motor right? I can just build it as a EFI like I would any motor correct or?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
If all I am using from the engine is the block it doesn’t matter if it was a carb or EFI motor right? I can just build it as a EFI like I would any motor correct or?
Yeah, block doesn't care how it get's fuel/air.
Go for the roller block.
Not sure if 93 is a roller block, I think the casting number has to start with F4TE.