351w build up questions

84fiveohore

Apr 23, 2007
york, pa
ok guys .. i was planning on putting the stock 79 351w out of a van in my 86 stang. this is the stuff i have .

stock 79 351w out of van .030 over..
t-5
stock clutch
stock gears
also im running stock duraspark ignition.
bbk swap headers .. off road h-pipe..
i have offenhauser 360 intake..(good bad?)
and my buddy has a fireball cam.. not sure what that is
and he has a set of d00e 351 heads.. heavy home port job with 1.84 1.54 valves
screw in studs 7/16.
i dont have rockers. so any advise would help
these are the parts i have available.. are any of these parts too mismatched.. im looking for a decent 351 .. my problem was the 130 hp/270ftlbs stock.. need more hp's
and i dont want to mismatch parts..
thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

I think that your motor is a 28oz so a flywheel for a 50oz won't work. Never heard of that intake before. i would go is a edelbrock performer rpm with that combo. Those heads will do ok but i hope that who ever ported them did a good job on them. I would junk that duraspark set up and just go with a msd.

need better heads
351's need a LOT of air at upper rpm's

save up for some Canfield 190's or AFR 185's or RHS 200's
and get a custom ground cam.

get a Vic Jr. intake and 650-750 carb
and long tube headers

without those upper rpm heads, cam and intake
its still nothing but a truck engine

I have a holley 750 and an edelbrock performer intake let both go $250 carb is only a year old and was $450 brand new I just switched to edelbrock and now have a truck that running a 400m motor so i dont need the intake any more. pm me and let me know

That Offey intake is old. It will work. If my memory serves me correct it is a 4 holed dual plane right? No need to go and throw a bunch of cash away right off. Use what you have. For rockers a set of roller tip will serve you well. You may want to think about swapping out your stock gears in your rear end. My 351w did not like the 2.73's my car had in them, Probably more the cam I choose then anything.