- Mild cam
- Hooker LT headers
** How much HP do you think Ill have with this set-up? :cool:

here is one set up;

http://www.mustangsteve.com/351W_Parts.html

it is a healthy way to go. my choice

performer rpm heads, or similar

performer rpm or weiand stealth intake

xe262h extreme energy comp cam, your choice flat tappet or roller. i would use a roller cam, and use the crane link bar lifters.

flat top pistons

750cfm carb your choice as to brand, i prefer the edelbrock carb though.

a good 1 5/8 or 1 3/4" primary tube header, i prefer a shorty header for ground clearance, and it wont make any real difference on the street.

top it off with a good electronic ignition, for me that would be a duraspark distributor, chrysler orange ignition box, and msd blaster lll coil. set the initial timing at 10-14 degrees.

either of these combinations will make more than 400hp with a stock stroke 351w. using a stroker crank you can use a milder cam, and still make 400hp.

I think you will find once you put a good rod bolt (ARP) in the stock rod, refinish the crank, refinish the rods, buy pistons, rings, bearings it is not much cheaper than just getting a SCAT kit. And at that point it doesn't cost any more to go with a bigger stroke.

If I was doing it I would get at least the AFR 205cc heads. They aren't much more money and it is difficult to "overhead" a motor (as long as you are sticking with a conventional streep/strip purpose head). If you get the 185s and ever go stroker I think you will regret not getting the bigger heads. Whereas with the 205s to begin with, although they may be more head than you "need," they aren't going to hurt power. The ports aren't so big that flow is going to be lazy. AFR has some good copyable builds on their site utilizing their out of the box heads on 10:1 windsors making like ~450hp.

I agree on the chrysler orange box; cheap, effective way to go. The MSD won't gain you a single HP, but can give you the rev limiter with 6AL.

Edelbrock RPM is the best mild/hot street manifold for just about any carb domestic v8 in my opinion. I like holley carbs the best for performance. Good luck!

yea, but you also have to add another $800 on machining for a stroker. Right?:shrug:
who told you this? They have no clue. Bore, Hone, Deck is all standard fare regardless if its a 351 build or a 408. The only thing a 408 needs is the bottom of the cylinders notched which is a 50-75 dollar operation. The 408 goes together like a stock stroke 351 rebuild.

Can I get a decent 408 for less than $1000, and how long does a 408 last(miles)? And whats the best compression for a (pump gas) 408 stroker?
Sure can, but if you put a junk head on it, it's a futile attempt. As for mileage, thats something noone can comment on with certainty. You need to run atleast a 20-22+cc dish to land static around 10-10.5:1

i know you already thought of this becaue i have seen you post it in a diffrent post but why not the 393 its cheaper from what i have hear(by the way none of this is from personal experiance, just reaserach) but yeah exspecially if you are goign to go with the afr heads that way you save some money on the stroker and then you got your heads wihtout adding on all the price of a kit and maybe you wont exceed your power goals by too much..? i dont know for sure just chiming in

If I do look into a stroker kit, what kind of things should I get to keep a good(pump gas) compression, and I'm not going to get all forged because thats way to expensive. But what type of pistons, what type of rods, etc.? And should I get AFR 185's or 205's?
any suggestions on stores with good stroker and good prices. (<$1000)

The AFR 205s would probaby be better for a stroker but are a lot more expensive than the 185s. Don't forget about all of the expenses that will add up besides the stroker kit and the machine work. Carburetor, intake, gaskets, oil pump, head bolts (would you want to use old used head bolts on those new shiny heads?), main bolts, water pump, fuel pump the list goes on and the cost adds up. You could reuse some items but some you definately would want to buy new.