351W (C9OE) On 5.0 fox

88gt373

Dec 29, 2010
so here it is: i wanted these roller rockers i saw on Craigslist and met up with the guy and he just gave me these 'fomoco' heads.. for free! the casting numbers are C9OE) and i found that they came off a '69-'70 351W. they have double valve springs, rocker studs, manley rod guides (p/n 42152) and 1.6 roller rockers. no port work done but it looks like a it deff needs a valve job bc some of the intake valves dont look seated. maybe bent valves not sure yet.. im going to take the valves out and check.

will they bolts up and be worth running on the stang? i know i have to run spacer for the bolt holes. maybe throw some ss valves and a 3 angle valve job? i work at a shop and get parts cheap and surface the heads at work..

• Sponsors (?)

I think those are ok heads, I think the combustion chamber is about the same as the e7's though. IMO, not worth putting money into and going through all the work of a head change when you probably won't pick up too much power.

I think those are ok heads, I think the combustion chamber is about the same as the e7's though. IMO, not worth putting money into and going through all the work of a head change when you probably won't pick up too much power.
yea i have been reading theyre not worth much.. im going to tear up my top end anyway bc im going to put new head studs/gaskets/gt40 intake/lifters/rockers/SUPERCHARGER!!! :banana: so i figured if the heads are salvageable and the money id be spending is just on valves and maybe seats, id be fine with a 10 hp gain..
i also saw the combustion chamber is a little bigger so thatd lower c/r so i can run a bit more boost. any thoughts?

update:
so i pulled all the valves out and was able to check the pockets. there looks like a lot of bowl work has been done. mostly to the intake side tho. and the intake/exhaust ports look to be gasket matched as awell. looks like all they need are some ss valves, resurface, 3 angle and cleaning. so what do you guys think? all the expensive stuff has been done already!

It's up to you, but me personally, would not go through the trouble of putting a stock ford iron head on an engine and maybe get 5, 10, or 15 hp.
But if you don't want to wait on saving up for some good heads, then it probably would be better than some e7's.

Go for it. If you dont have a budget for Aluminum heads and everything is torn down anyway there is no reason to slap your stockers back on. Its getting nice out, finish that thing up and get it on the road and do better heads next winter if it comes to that :D

Reactions: 1 user
yea id love to get some aluminum on top of my block but thats waay outta the budget. most of my car budget goes to diapers and gerber jars now.. lol.. i dound some valves on summit racing that are Stainless. any place you know of where i can get stock replacement valves? or would stainless be a noticeable difference?

If this were 20-years-ago, I'd say go for it. Iron GT40's were still relatively new on the market and still fetched a good dollar.

...now, you can get a set of GT40/GT40P castings for what it would cost you to refresh those old 351W castings. And the GT40/GT40P's are a far superior head.

IMO, pull the goodies off of them, and see what you can get for them on craigslist. You might get lucky and get enough to cover the cost of a top end gasket kit. :nice:

i dound some valves on summit racing that are Stainless. any place you know of where i can get stock replacement valves? or would stainless be a noticeable difference?
Seriously....you'de really be wasting your money on working these heads over. The replacement valves alone would be worth more than the heads.