351w Connecting Rods

rbreith

Oct 15, 2013
looking to bring my 351w block to the machine shop in the next few weeks. I'm wondering what the stock connecting rods are made of and what hp they are good to. I'm looking to build the short block this summer and then wait for next summer to finish it up. looking to make around 450/450 NA with it. I would like to build the bottom end to last.
thanks for the help

• Sponsors (?)

One of the mustang rags a while back pushed a completely stock 351W long block into the 1,000hp range with the boost….If that gives you any indication what they'll take.
^ this. I know a guy who has gone consistent 8s and another guy knocking on 8s door on a stock bottom end. If anything replace the hardware and you'll be fine.

looking to bring my 351w block to the machine shop in the next few weeks. I'm wondering what the stock connecting rods are made of and what hp they are good to. I'm looking to build the short block this summer and then wait for next summer to finish it up. looking to make around 450/450 NA with it. I would like to build the bottom end to last.
thanks for the help

It is a stock, cast rod. Properly prepped, and resized, should be good to your power level depending on how high you spin the engine. Rod failure usually occurs from excessive expansive load, not so much as the compressive load it has to endure. Expansive load occurs from the rod having to hold onto the piston at engine speeds in excess of 6500 RPM. Piston weight will be a factor in that as well.

My earliest days spent w/ a stock bottom ended 351 saw 7000 RPM routinely. The rods had all of the typical junk you could do to help insure their survivability. They were magnafluxed, bushed, polished, shot peened, and had ARP 180,000 psi bolts.
You can either do all that stuff to your existing rods, and have them "resized" by your machinist, or....

From my recollection of my last build there are two rod options you can buy in "reconditioned" status from a OEM rebuilder.

There is a straight cut bolt face "car" rod, and a oval head cut "truck" rod available from OEM rebuilders. They will not have good bolts at that price. At 33.00 a rod,...doubt that they are worthwhile investment anyway, as you can buy a forged steel I beam replacement from Eagle/Scat for under 250.00, or a forged H beam set for right around 400.00