351W Spider/Dogbone question..

zZsKyZz

Dec 1, 2005
I just purchased a 351W :nice:

In the lifter valley there's no spider hold-down or dogbone things around the lifters...

What's this mean? Should there be some there? :shrug:

Is this going to cause any problems?

• Sponsors (?)

:nice: even though that year is in the range where people say the quality is not as good, they are still much stronger than a stock 302 block and you can push 500hp with it day in and day out.

it is a non-roller block. it came with flat tappet lifters. while flat tappets are not quite as bad as one might think (after all, NASCAR motors have flat tappets), if you want to use a hydraulic roller cam with it, then you can either use link bar lifters or you can do what madams74 did and convert it to have the spider and whatever else you need to do to be able to use hydraulic rollers. in that case, you would probably be better advised to use a small base circle cam, unless the lift on the normal base circle cam you select doesn't push the lifters out of the holes too far. imo, it would be easier (and you'd have 1 less thing to worry about) if you go with the link bar lifters, but they are expensive.

the small base circle cam thing is an option though, just make sure you understand the issues and tradeoffs with it

:nice: even though that year is in the range where people say the quality is not as good, they are still much stronger than a stock 302 block and you can push 500hp with it day in and day out.

it is a non-roller block. it came with flat tappet lifters. while flat tappets are not quite as bad as one might think (after all, NASCAR motors have flat tappets), if you want to use a hydraulic roller cam with it, then you can either use link bar lifters or you can do what madams74 did and convert it to have the spider and whatever else you need to do to be able to use hydraulic rollers. in that case, you would probably be better advised to use a small base circle cam, unless the lift on the normal base circle cam you select doesn't push the lifters out of the holes too far. imo, it would be easier (and you'd have 1 less thing to worry about) if you go with the link bar lifters, but they are expensive.

the small base circle cam thing is an option though, just make sure you understand the issues and tradeoffs with it

The engine already has a cam in it [I got it from my sisters god-father who builds dragsters and had it rebuilt and it already has a cam in it.]

I already have the oilpan/oil pickup and some shiny new ford racing valve covers. I just need to get an edelbrock lower intake so I can match my upper to it, headers, and bigger injectors/MAF.

Anything else I'm missing?

And what injectors do you guys recommend? I plan on running some boost on it next summer and may be hooking my nitrous system up to it... I'm hoping for 12's in my heavy ass AODE 'vert. :shrug:

this is exciting... :hail2:

find out what kind of cam it is and get compatible lifters, or just has the dude what he recommends for lifters

if it's a 351, then for NA 42#ers are probably bigger than you need, 36#ers would probably be right. but with boost and nitrous, you'll need to go alot bigger

does it have an EFI distributor? a 302 dizzy doesn't fit a 351

this is exciting... :hail2:

find out what kind of cam it is and get compatible lifters, or just has the dude what he recommends for lifters

if it's a 351, then for NA 42#ers are probably bigger than you need, 36#ers would probably be right. but with boost and nitrous, you'll need to go alot bigger

does it have an EFI distributor? a 302 dizzy doesn't fit a 351

No, I'll be buying a dizzy. Will a normal [cheap] 351 EFI dist. work?

mine is a 351w dizzy from an efi truck. it has the same connector as a 94/95. it has been fine so far ...

the thing to check into is that the metal for the gears on the cam and the dizzy are compatible