351w swap oil pan dipstick

DKeen

Dec 6, 2004
Hoping for some answers here...

My problem is that My dipstick tube is broken on my 351w swapped fox. The tube goes into the oil pan, which I believe is either the ford racing swap pan, or an 80s crown vic 351w pan (heard they are the same pan). Does anyone know where I can find a dipstick that fits these? I havent taken the tube out yet, but I believe that it is threaded where it enters the pan. actually, I have no idea if its threaded or not, now that I've looked at a few pictures =/. If anyone can help me out, please let me know.

thanks, dan

• Sponsors (?)

Since I don't have any personal experience with either of those pans, I would start at the local Ford dealership. They should be able to find something that will work.
If not then any of the aftermarket oil dipstick/tube kits should work for you. From what I have seen the dipstick isn't really specially designed to any block.
You will want to verify that the oil fill marks are correct once you find a new tube.

jason

This dipstick enters on the oil pan, I think they are different from the block ones. Not sure though. The dealership is a good idea, I might have to do that

I got that pan lying around the shop.It has a boss installed in the pan (I believe its cast iron) that the dip stick screws into.I think the threads would be standard NPT ,but im not sure.

vristang has a good idea about calling the dealership.

Oh,and I got the dipstick,it looks like a stock one?

Im afraid of how this is going to turn out when I take the dipstick tube out, let me explain my situation:

-Dipstick tube is too mangled for a dipstick to slide into, so the last owner just clipped off the top of the dipstick and used it to plug the tube.
-I noticed oil leaking from the area where the tube goes into the pan the other day, and I discovered that whoever installed it filled in that whole recessed area with silicone (which the oil is now seeping out of)
-when I remove the silicone and the tube, I guess I'll see where the leak is from. I'm hoping the base of the tube is damaged (since its no good anyways). I'm just afraid that theres something wrong with the fitting on the pan, and that I won't be able to fix it.

I guess I'll just have to get my hands on a replacement diptick/tube, and find out what it looks like under all that silicone.

:rlaugh:
I was just going to suggest using a little silicone. If a little silicone doesn't work, then use a lot of silicone. :nice:

Seriously, if you get the surfaces very clean before smearing the silicone on, it should seal fairly well. Not ideal, but it may prevent leaking while you find a new pan, and the time to install it.

Maybe there is a better adhesive/sealant that would work better? Anyone?

jason