35th Anniv 35th value needed.....

ijg4503

Jan 8, 2012
I am in the market for a Cobra or 35th Anniversary Mustang. I have been watching all the common sites for cars and using all the popular pricing sites for values. There are a lot more Cobras out there than 35th Anniversary cars, so it is easier to figure out if the pricing is in line with market value. I am having a much harder time figuring out how to accurately jugde what a 35th is worth. In my area there are a few Cobras (99-03) floating around for sale. I have also found a 35th that is for sale (#1 of the 4628). Yes, #1 of the production run. It is triple black. The current (2nd) owner has taken great care of the car and has spent a lot of $ upgrading the car over ~9yrs. There are pros and cons to modifying a potentially collectible vehicle. It was repainted in ~04 due to tree sap damage. It has Bassani SS exhaust headers, TrickOne suspension & Tokico shocks, SSBC front and rear brakes, aluminum drive shaft & flywheel, Diablo chio, Redline GT wheels, and the list goes on and on. I think he mentioned that he has ~$15K in upgrades to the car. The one area that hasn't been touched is the engine. The car has 68K on the odometer. So, my great debate is what is the car really worth? ,can be done, aside from a supercharger to get more HP out of the stock 26oHP engine? The 99-04 Cobras come with 320-390HP depending on the year, versus 260HP from the normal SOHC 4.6L. Any advice would be much appreciated...........

• Sponsors (?)

As a "Limited" owner and moderator of this site, this is one question that cannot be answered easily. Since the 99-04 Mustangs are now 2 generations old, pricing has dropped for these cars. But a "Limited Edition" GT should bring at least $1000 more than an similiar standard GT from 1999. Condition is important most of all of course, and value of modifications is arguable in resale value. I know the owner did extensive reconditioning to #1. I met him and saw the car a few years ago. It was originally from FL from what I remember and had suffered the hot sun exposure of that region.

Reactions: 1 user
You're going to have to ask yourself what it is you are looking for. A limited edition with less than 5k units worldwide, or the 'illustrious' Cobra. The Cobra is an easily and most often instantly recognizable symbol in the lore of Ford Motor Company. But Cobra's are many. *small shrug* It takes a trained eye and a knowledgable Mustang/Ford guy to actually notice and understand what a 35th Anniv LE model actually is.

As far as value is concerned, what Vorhees said is pretty spot on. However I'll tell you what I tell most prospective Mustang buyers. The cars value is entirely dependent on what it is worth to you. How badly do you want it? Cause that is what determines how much you should offer/pay.