3650 grind

CobraMaverick

Dec 14, 2011
So, I have a 2001 4.6 Dohc with the Tremec 3650 5spd trans in a 1972 Maverick Grabber

I have looked all over the Mustang forum boards for someone posting about my problem.... no luck. So I figure someone here will steer me in the right direction.

When coming up to a stop around 1 or 2 mph I can no longer get it into 1st gear without grinding it and forcing it in gear. This problem came on suddenly... no warning that something was starting to go bad.

So far all I have done is a fluid change which did nothing for my 1st gear problem but made the rest of the gears shift more smoothly.

One thing I did to try, is to to rule out a clutch problem. I roll forward about 5 mph then depress clutch pedal and shift into reverse.... well, it shifts smoothly into reverse. So I am thinking a Trans problem and not a clutch problem. I have a firm clutch pedal and it shifts smooth as silk into all gears except 1st

• Sponsors (?)

Some other 3650 trans owners have reported the same thing in the past - it's difficult to engage 1st gear while the car is coming to a stop or while rolling at VERY low speeeds, much like you mentioned. Obviously, a work-around is to leave it in 2nd and then wait until you're at a dead stop before putting it into 1st prior to taking off again (if you can live with that hassle).

Can't recall what the specific "fix" was for this issue. Perhaps the following might shed some more light, have a (long) read:

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/i-got-a-lawyer-for-us-on-the-tremec-3650.332530/

G'luck ! :cheers: