393 stroker, chose of intake

jae902

Feb 11, 2003
I've got a 67 mustang coupe with the stock hood, and I want to keep the stock hood. Here are the specs:
393 stroker, flat top pistons, 210cc procomp heads. Cam spec is, gross lift with 1.6 ratio, .544 intake, and .5568 exhaust. Duration @ .050" tappet lift, 234 intake and 240 exhaust. Powerband is roughly between 2500 and 5600 rpm.

I've got a speed demon carb, i think 600 or 650 cfm, been so long that i'm not sure. I need to order an intake, but not sure which one. Been reading a lot on the forums, and so one minute i'm leaning towards the Victor Jr. , then another minute i'm leaning towards the Stealth. I know the Victor Jr. is a tight squeeze but can work with some mods. Its a street car that i would drive around once in awhile.

Which one is better for my setup? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I was thinking that the stealth would work, but i always feel like i want the best, most horsepower and i'm sure a lot of people feel the same, even though i'm not taking it to the track. As far as fitting it under the hood, i read a thread that one of the guys milled off a little off top of the intake, which i could easily do myself. But with that cam, am i limiting myself with the stealth, or i probably wouldn't even notice a difference with the victor jr? I read that the rpm starting range is 3500 rpm for the victor jr, but that this intake is streetable and to not be scared of the rpm range. Is that true?

I know all about the angle milled Vic Jr as it was my idea. . . . . ;) (See sig)

First of all, there is nothing wrong with using a Vic Jr on your 393w motor. Been there, done that, go the Tee shirt.

I started with the Stealth and it had equally good street manners on a similar combo as the one you described, even down to the ProComp 210's and cam. Drove great on the street and had excellent torque. Along the way I wanted more and upgraded the cam to a custom solid and the Vic Jr. Then I started drag racing the car. Shifted at 6200 RPMs and yet still had all the same street manners at lower RPM's (big strokers don't need help in the torque department.) Later I swapped out the heads and gained a full 1/2 second ET at the track.

What I am trying to get at is that although your motor can utilize the Vic Jr as it is, it really isn't going to make much of a performance difference (if any) on the street (or track) vs a Stealth (or RPM) unless you also upgrade your heads which is where the real power comes from.)

Remember that the 393 is big block cubes in a small package. Your cam and heads are nothing radical in a 393 and are about the minimal that I would use in a fun 3000-3300lb street machine. Because I like drag racing my car too, I've gone beyond the original package and now run cams in the 243/258 duration, 655 lift range. Still idles with 12lbs of vacuum and can obliterate the tires in every gear on the street with just a slight punch of the accelerator anywhere above 1500rpm.

Unless the 67' has a taller hood line than the 65/66, there are several things you must do in order to get the Vic Jr under the hood.

1. Angle mill the intake
2. Modify a drop base intake to sit even lower than design
3. Use a carb with a shorter air cleaner throat.
4. Use drop motor mounts.

None of it is tough, but all of it had to be done in my case just to get 3/8" air cleaner-to-hood clearance.