3G alternator install ?'s (not the same old ?)

Roland69

Sergeant Tangnet
Sep 17, 2005
Port Elgin, Ontario
When installing a 3G you need to grind or cut out some of that bracket right. If I were to buy one of those alt mounting kits with the adjustable rod and bracket that replaces the alt bracket and tensioner too will the 3G still work with that setup

• Sponsors (?)

Hello,

March has a nice bracket for the alternator. It works perfect with a 3G alternator. The March number ist #30025 and costs approximately 100 bucks.
Here is a picture of my setup. I installed the alternator upsidedown. Not the standard installation.

Markus

Attachments

• bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 563
what does the 6G come in or is it just an aftermarket alt that I'd need to order somewhere. And does the 6G just plug in or do I need to do some wire upgrades too. I don't mind grinding the stock bracket as I have all kinds of tools and air tools.

Modding the bracket takes less then 4mins once you got your tools ready....

Not having to mod the bracket takes no time at all and requires no tools..

The 6g alternator gets rid of 1 of the wires as well (the white/black wire with the clip on the end that plugs into the 3g), making for an easier install. It doesnt get much better then that.

You Splice 2 of your wires from the original alternator onto the 6G electrical connection clip. Then connect your 0,2,4 GA charging cable from the alternator to the battery and you are done. Very easy install. I would say the easiest mod you can do to your car yourself.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...004QQitemZ140083458464QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

You can check it out there. I dont know why that company gives you those 2 clips to attatch the Black/Orange Original B+ wires, but they should NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER NEVER (get it?) be attatched, with a 6g or 3g for that matter.

6g is 99-04 mustang v6 3.8L alt i believe. yes it too is a 130A and requires wire upgrades.
The small case 6G that's being discussed is factory rated at 105 amps. The stardard version aftermarket small case 6G is rated at 110amps.

These days, the mod to do is the 6G alt. Same overall performance of the 3G, but in a smaller case :)

The small case 6G is rated at 105/110amps, but actually puts out 120ish max and 60ish at idle.
Large case 6Gs for fox mustangs are almost impossible to find and require the bracket mod.

The large case 3G is rated at 130amps, but actually puts out 160~170amps max and 80ish at idle.

LMAO at the guy selling alternators as remanufactured, that have painted DE and SRE frames and the original stator woundings..... This is rebuilt? NOT remanufactured!!!!!!!!!!!! WOnder what 'new' parts are actually in that thing? If you asked, he probably wouldn't reply.

Here's another alternator by the same seller. Notice the silver paint. He even painted the mounting areas that are for ground. Also notice the dirty used regulator, which btw is the wrong regulator for our app > The white regulators have 2.5sec LRC delay. A little cam will keep this from charging correctly at idle. Also, most of the 3G alts that came with white regulators are rated at 110a. ... Our app needs a grey regulator with no LRC.
From the looks of this, it's a used alternator that he disassembled, cleaned, painted, then conned someone by calling it remanufactured.
View attachment 402150

the alternator (6G) that smokin91 gave the link to, is the one that i purchased. i can confirm that *IT* is not painted and is indeed rebuilt. i cannot confirm the rating however.
Here's another of his ads.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...8QQihZ004QQcategoryZ33573QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

In this ad, he tells you what's up with this sentence
"WE USE ALL THE ORIGINAL ALTERNATOR PARTS."
Aren't the alternator's original parts... used?

Is that a milk carton lid he's using as a SRE bearing cap? and where's the power terminal extension's cap? The housing's painted silver. Is that a used connector harness with black electrical tape.. this seems odd as well, because he should have access to parts like that for cheap.

Maybe it's just me and the fact that I'm in the automotive electrical business, but this dude's parts are all too obvious to me.

View attachment 402093
a2_1.JPG

Attachments

• a2_1.JPG
    a2_1.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 140