3G alternator, Mini Starter, and Battery Relocation

1968_stang

Mar 19, 2009
Hello all,
I just picked up a 3G alternator and a mini starter. I would like to relocate the batter to the trunk and have some 0 gauge wire i'm going to use. My question is what is the best way to accomplish this? I would like to get rid of the starter relay on the side of the fender, is this a good idea? can a normal relay take it's place? Does anyone have a good wireing diagram to accomplish all of this?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I would like to relocate the batter to the trunk and have some 0 gauge wire i'm going to use. My question is what is the best way to accomplish this? I would like to get rid of the starter relay on the side of the fender, is this a good idea?
No, it has to be there, somewhere. But you can move it anywhere you want, to hide it.

2+2GT is right. what some guys do is move the starter solenoid to the trunk with the battery. that way you dont need as much of the large gauge cable, and you can supply the rest of the system with a much smaller 8 or 10 gauge feed wire. just remember the maxi-fuse, 75 amps should do nicely.

There was a recent post on this and apparently people think you have to keep the solenoid. NOT TRUE. I have done it.

Here is another post on mini starters and wiring (and confusion)

Here is how to wire it:

StarterRelay-1.jpg

Here's the website I'm using to move my battery to the trunk, they sell a kit or you can piece your own together,
Catalog

The mini starter should have the solenoid mounted on it so you should be able to use just a junction box up front for forward power source.
Jon

There was a recent post on this and apparently people think you have to keep the solenoid. NOT TRUE. I have done it.

Here is another post on mini starters and wiring (and confusion)

Here is how to wire it:

StarterRelay-1.jpg

Good info, this is what I had in mind, but what about the other wire on the relay? isn't this a neutral safety?

The other part of the setup I want to do is the alternator, I purchased a one wire alternator and it looks like the I connector is not needed? how is this accomplished?

So I should just be able to run the 0 gauge from the battery to the main power on the starter, then to the main termianal on the alterntor? where would I junction the rest of the system? on the alternator terminal? to a distribution block?

Good info, this is what I had in mind, but what about the other wire on the relay? isn't this a neutral safety?

Not sure what you mean. Neutral safety is accomplished by a switch on the transmission or the shifter between the ignition switch and the start relay.

The other part of the setup I want to do is the alternator, I purchased a one wire alternator and it looks like the I connector is not needed? how is this accomplished?

3G alternators are not one wire alternators. The regulator is built-in, which cleans up some external wiring, but you will still need ignition power (with an alt lamp, or resistor in the circuit) going to it for “turn-on” voltage.

Here is a diagram of the hook-up:

3GAlternator.jpg

So I should just be able to run the 0 gauge from the battery to the main power on the starter, then to the main termianal on the alterntor? where would I junction the rest of the system? on the alternator terminal? to a distribution block?

You don’t need 0 gauge from the starter to your distribution point. I used 4 ga.

Yes, a Junction block is good. I got this one from a full size Chevy Truck, and made the rest from ¼” plastic and some bolts. I have a lot of electrical demand though.

DSC09253.jpg

Battery Power Distribution:

BatDistr.jpg

You could probably use a regular distribution point like this:

80112.jpg

Tim, Thanks for all the great information. This is pretty much exactly what I want to do. Where did you get the fuse box?

The second wire on the starter relay, what is that for. The one is to ingauge the relay with you turn the ignition? but there is a second?

This is the alternator I purchased
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170346769411&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

It is stating it is a one wire, but i'm guessing that "one wire" is referring to the I terminal on the regulator.

Tim, Thanks for all the great information. This is pretty much exactly what I want to do. Where did you get the fuse box?

The second wire on the starter relay, what is that for. The one is to ingauge the relay with you turn the ignition? but there is a second?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K:MEWNX:IT

It is stating it is a one wire, but i'm guessing that "one wire" is referring to the I terminal on the regulator.

I got my fuse box from the place that builds them. It was an engineer test unit from a 2000 Neon. lol. My father-in-law worked there and got me a whole front harness and a crap load of wire and terminals to go with it.

But anything like this would work:

70107.jpg

You mean the "I" terminal on the solenoid? It outputs the full battery voltage to the coil while cranking to fire better. Once running the pink resistor wire reduces it to 6-9 Volts to the coil.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K:MEWNX:IT

It doesn't describe much detail in the listing, but in the picture I don't see a green/red wire coming out of the connector. That is the "I" or ignition turn-on signal. I would e-mail the guy and see what additional info he can provide.