3G Alternator Upgrade - Remove Old Wires?

JasinC19

What hole is this!?!
Jun 7, 2011
While I have the engine out and the wiring is easy to get to, I wanted to get this straight.

I have this kit installed, including the upgraded larger power wire:
http://www.paperformance.com/scripts/prodview.asp?idProduct=343

What I want to know is if I can eliminate the original power wires that run from the starter distribution block to the alternator. They are black with an orange stripe and are taking up space.

The kit instructions say to just add the new wire, but probably figure most people won't have their harness easily accessible to remove the factory wires.

I have to imagine the large wire can carry the load no problem.

Thanks,
Jason

• Sponsors (?)

Here's the correct way to do the 3G wiring. Follow this, save money and it will be done the right way.
Stangnet 3G install sticky http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/646825-3g-alternator-install-how.html#post6673702

The old wiring harness contains one yellow/white wire that is the voltage sense wire. It purpose is to measure the voltage drop between the alternator output and the body wiring buss. It will cause the alternator to increase its output voltage if there is a significant drop between the alternator output terminal and the body wiring buss.
That wire must be present for the alternator to work. For that reason, leave it in place when using a 94-95 Mustang 3G alternator. If your alternator is not a direct one for one swap with a 94-95 Mustang 3G alternator, that may not apply.

Here's the wiring diagram to show why...

attachment.php

Do not connect the black orange wires to the alternator: tape them up out of the way. Here is the reasoning behind using only a single 4 gauge fused power feed to the alternator. If you use the two 10 gauge black/orange wires in addition to the 4 gauge wire, you have two fused power feed paths. The total current capacity of the wiring is the sum of the fused paths. The 4 gauge path is fused for 125 amps, and the two 10 gages wires are fused for 60 amps. That is a total of 185 amps, which exceeds the capacity of the alternator. Overload can occur without the fuses blowing, damaging the alternator.

The worst case scenario is that the alternator develops an internal short to ground resulting in a catastrophic failure. The initial short circuit surge current is limited by the resistance of the wiring. The current in a parallel circuit divides up according to the resistance of the branches. If the 4 gauge fuse opens up first, the two 10 gauge black/orange wires will be carrying the short circuit surge current. Depending on the time lag of the fuse links, they may open up before a fire starts or they may not.

Thanks for the in depth replies guys.

I am just curious: the PA Performance website says that the alternator I have is 130 amps: 80 amps at idle, 160 amps at 6000 rpm (alternator shaft rpm; Idle is 2000 alternator shaft rpm)

If I only have the single 4 gauge wire, would the single wire be able to handle the 160 amps max output? I am assuming so, since the fuse is a 200A fuse. See below link for product details:
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...um-4-Gauge-Power-Wire-Kit-W-Noise-Suppression

I would be overjoyed if I could simplify the equation. Just adding the big wire made me feel... dirty.

If your actually PULLING 160 amps from that alternator then it's because something is wrong (battery dead, shorted, etc). You will only pull the amps that the battery and accessories need and not the amps that the alt is capable of producing.

In other words... If you have so much electronic equipment that you'll be pulling anything NEAR 160 amps continuous, then I might upgrade the wire. Otherwise... the 4 ga. will be plenty.

In other words... If you have so much electronic equipment that you'll be pulling anything NEAR 160 amps continuous, then I might upgrade the wire. Otherwise... the 4 ga. will be plenty.

Hmm I don't think I will... but if I go electric fan, have A/C running with headlights on, and have 2 aftermarket stereo amplifiers running. Would that do it?

Well the price of copper has skyrocketed lately. Even buying decent sized extension cords is unreal...

But yeah $60 bucks for something already cut/assembled was a price I was willing to pay