• General Automotive Forums
  • Other Auto Tech

3rd person help with a Chevy issue

  • Thread starter Thread starter LILCBRA
  • Start date Start date Feb 13, 2025

LILCBRA

I wish I didn't have all of these balls in the air
Mod Dude
Dec 6, 2005
6,529
5,525
194
Corn County USA
Feb 13, 2025
#1
  • Feb 13, 2025
  • #1
As the title suggests, my cousin called me last night asking for my input on his friend's truck. I think he said it was an early 90s 350 - they're having issues with it staying running after letting off the accelerator. He said his friend "took it to a shop" where they basically replaced everything except the long block and they couldn't fix it. Here's what I remember from our conversation last night:

He said it'll start and idle without issues. It'll accelerate and cruise at a steady speed with no issues. But when you flip the throttle or let off when driving, it ends up dying, then they can restart it with no problem.

I told him I'd start by checking the IAC, check the idle position of the new throttle body, check the TPS, and ensure that there are no vacuum leaks. Does anyone else have any other suggestions to pass?
 

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,059
10,683
213
polk county florida
Feb 13, 2025
#2
  • Feb 13, 2025
  • #2
Run codes?
I agree with checking IAC .
 
Reactions: Noobz347

LILCBRA

I wish I didn't have all of these balls in the air
Mod Dude
Dec 6, 2005
6,529
5,525
194
Corn County USA
Feb 13, 2025
#3
  • Feb 13, 2025
  • #3
Nothing was said about codes that I remember right now. But you'd think that whatever shop the guy took it to would've done that before firing the parts cannon.
 
Reactions: General karthief

LILCBRA

I wish I didn't have all of these balls in the air
Mod Dude
Dec 6, 2005
6,529
5,525
194
Corn County USA
Feb 13, 2025
#4
  • Feb 13, 2025
  • #4
General karthief said:
Run codes?
I agree with checking IAC .
Click to expand...

Oh, and the IAC is brand new, along with pretty much everything else as I was told.
 

LILCBRA

I wish I didn't have all of these balls in the air
Mod Dude
Dec 6, 2005
6,529
5,525
194
Corn County USA
Feb 13, 2025
#5
  • Feb 13, 2025
  • #5
Here's a synopsis of what I told him during our phone conversation last night.

 
Reactions: General karthief

RaggedGT

Been here over a DECADE and still no CT
Mod Dude
Jul 20, 2014
4,754
3,209
203
Taylorsville ky
Feb 14, 2025
#6
  • Feb 14, 2025
  • #6
Does it have the spider looking throttle body with the injectors in it?
 

LILCBRA

I wish I didn't have all of these balls in the air
Mod Dude
Dec 6, 2005
6,529
5,525
194
Corn County USA
Feb 14, 2025
#7
  • Feb 14, 2025
  • #7
RaggedGT said:
Does it have the spider looking throttle body with the injectors in it?
Click to expand...



I can ask him unless he pops in here and creates an account to answer for himself. He called me from Iowa to ask if I had any ideas that he might be able to chase down, so I've not seen the truck.
 

LILCBRA

I wish I didn't have all of these balls in the air
Mod Dude
Dec 6, 2005
6,529
5,525
194
Corn County USA
Feb 14, 2025
#8
  • Feb 14, 2025
  • #8
I messaged him, his reply: "I'm not 100% sure if it does, I haven't looked at the truck since I last talked to you. I should be there later tonight when it starts snowing."
 

RaggedGT

Been here over a DECADE and still no CT
Mod Dude
Jul 20, 2014
4,754
3,209
203
Taylorsville ky
Feb 14, 2025
#9
  • Feb 14, 2025
  • #9
It’s been a minute since I’ve worked on a tbi. Chevy, if he has that throttle body he should be able to see the injectors spraying-and I’d bet they are erratic or completely out of sync
 
Reactions: LILCBRA

Adieu

Easy there, this ain't a dating site.
20+ Year Stangneter
Mar 7, 2002
9,531
5,187
224
Apr 20, 2025
#10
  • Apr 20, 2025
  • #10
LILCBRA said:
As the title suggests, my cousin called me last night asking for my input on his friend's truck. I think he said it was an early 90s 350 - they're having issues with it staying running after letting off the accelerator. He said his friend "took it to a shop" where they basically replaced everything except the long block and they couldn't fix it. Here's what I remember from our conversation last night:

He said it'll start and idle without issues. It'll accelerate and cruise at a steady speed with no issues. But when you flip the throttle or let off when driving, it ends up dying, then they can restart it with no problem.

I told him I'd start by checking the IAC, check the idle position of the new throttle body, check the TPS, and ensure that there are no vacuum leaks. Does anyone else have any other suggestions to pass?
Click to expand...
Two bottles of Techron, a long drive, and call me in the morning.
 
Reactions: LILCBRA

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,403
21,611
234
Box behind Walmart
Apr 20, 2025
#11
  • Apr 20, 2025
  • #11
Ha! I just saw this thread and here's what I thunk as I read it:


Get the year.

Get the codes.

Find out if it's TBI and if so, find out what it takes to rebuild or replace and get the injectors cleaned and flow tested.

Replace the fuel pump, sock, and filter.
 
Reactions: LILCBRA

LILCBRA

I wish I didn't have all of these balls in the air
Mod Dude
Dec 6, 2005
6,529
5,525
194
Corn County USA
Apr 20, 2025
#12
  • Apr 20, 2025
  • #12
Haven't heard anything more about it, so I can only assume they got it figured out.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

F
Fox 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 A9L – Engine suddenly shuts off but immediately restarts when key turned
  • FishermansFriend
  • Aug 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
16
Views
540
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 30, 2026
General karthief
B
Help! Fox with idle issues
  • bbarton
  • Sep 11, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
213
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 12, 2026
AeroCoupe
A
Rough idle - cylinder 1 and 6 misfire HELP
  • austindavies935
  • Jul 24, 2025
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
12
Views
826
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jul 24, 2025
gkomo
T
Help with a 95 5L crank no start
  • TheBubbaJoe
  • Nov 4, 2025
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Replies
3
Views
516
1994 - 1995 Specific Tech Nov 5, 2025
AeroCoupe
W
Speedometer and shifting issues
  • wyatt-tetro891
  • Aug 17, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
217
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 18, 2026
wyatt-tetro891
W
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • General Automotive Forums
  • Other Auto Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?