3v Engine tick/ slight knocking sound

• Sponsors (?)

It's definitely rotational. Are you sure it's coming from the rocker covers? It's difficult to tell from the video. Have you tried using a stethoscope to isolate the noise?
I don’t have one but I used a long flathead screw driver. Couldn’t really notice anything apparent but it’s very loud and hard to hear since it’s cammed and loud exhaust. I guess I’ll need to raise the front and try to listen from the bottom as best as possible. Was just curious if anyone was pretty sure of what it was. Definitely seems that the 3v have a couple head noises that are consistent. One of my buddy’s thinks it’s a rod knocking but it goes away under acceleration and it’s not a loud power hammer. I don’t know though. Just trying to get some possible help before I start opening anything up.

Of course my buddies are trying to be hopeful in a weird way that it’s a rod knocking so I can put some better internals in there. I’m wanting to do that down the road but I ain’t got about 2-3k to throw down to stuff a stroker setup in there. Hopefully I’m not cursed with bad luck and stuck with a rod knock and have to settle for a basic budget fix. I’m gonna be so pissed if that’s the case.

It doesn't sound like rod knock, at least from what I can hear from the video. It's too high pitched and you can hear it from the top easily, plus the noise seems to go away when you accelerate. Put your long screwdriver down on the side of the block and see if you can hear anything.

It doesn't sound like rod knock, at least from what I can hear from the video. It's too high pitched and you can hear it from the top easily, plus the noise seems to go away when you accelerate. Put your long screwdriver down on the side of the block and see if you can hear anything.
If it’s coming from the side, what could it possibly be if it’s more than likely not a rod knock. I’m mechanically inclined although I’m no master mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. I do think when I take the belt off to start the investigation, I’ll start with the pulleys and see if there’s any play or anything obvious.

Good place to start is remove the belts and start it. Just don't run it very long, but you might spin all the pulleys too. It just could be a PS pump, alternator, or A/C compressor and echoing throughout the engine bay. Check the idler and tensioner pulleys too. If there is even the slightest feeling they aren't smooth, i certainly could be a culprit. Also inspect every inch of the belt too. Look for cracks or chunks missing out of the ribs. It's amazing what little things can make sounds that escalate throughout the engine bay.

Passenger side rockers are know to fail if the oil got low or you have high mileage. I replaced 3 of mine, did the lifters to since I was there. Later this summer I plan to replace all the rockers and lifters on both sides. Fairly easy but you need a couple tools. I got them off Amazon pretty cheap.

I knew that was coming, I was trying to find my order and post it, then got sidetracked. Here they are (you need both).
Amazon product ASIN B075ZHX1BSView: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B075ZHX1BS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and
Amazon product ASIN B079GSDKYHView: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B079GSDKYH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In case the link doesn't work, search for
OEMTOOLS 24429 Spring Compressor for Ford 3-Valve Engines
and
E-cowlboy Cam Tool Complete Combo Kit Cam Phaser Holding Tool,Crankshaft Positioning Wrench Holder and Timing Chain Locking Tool for Ford 4.6L/5.4L 3V Engine
You can find many variations, I choose these because the price was good and the combo kit had a couple more tools for only a couple more dollars. Didn't use them, but I plan on getting to 500,000 miles on mine, so I may need them at some point.
Here is a video about doing the job - Important - press down on the valve stem to keep the valve retainer tight.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdAUeVRBNA8

If that fails search Youtube for
Ford 5.4L 3v Triton Engines: Roller Follower Removal and Installation

Reactions: 1 user
Good place to start is remove the belts and start it. Just don't run it very long, but you might spin all the pulleys too. It just could be a PS pump, alternator, or A/C compressor and echoing throughout the engine bay. Check the idler and tensioner pulleys too. If there is even the slightest feeling they aren't smooth, i certainly could be a culprit. Also inspect every inch of the belt too. Look for cracks or chunks missing out of the ribs. It's amazing what little things can make sounds that escalate throughout the engine bay.

Got a stethoscope the other day. Sound could be heard above the cam phaser area of the valve covers as well as the idler pulley bolts just below. I’ve searched for cam phaser sounds to find a possible comparison but this doesn’t sound like the diesel-like sound of a phaser fail.

The belt looks fine and the pulleys are smooth. However the passenger side idler pulley had engine oil in the bolt hole. I don’t know if there is a crack on the inside of the timing cover or what. Don’t have a scope to get a look from the outside but I’m sure I’m gonna have to start going in to see what the deal is now. Kinda wondering if the timing chain guides or something with the timing set needs to be addressed.

Well found the culprit. I stethoscoped it a while ago and noticed the sound was coming from the center front. After the front end got dug into, the crank sensor sprocket’s keyway was found whored out. Don’t know how this happened but Im having the whole timing set and oil pump replaced (why not since it’s opened) for good measure.

If anyone runs into a similar issue you may have this problem. I hope
this post and video helps anyone out if they find themselves scratching their head like I was before I finally got the chance to have it taken care of.
5110AC80-D2F7-4B59-86C9-C513FFF68726.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Well found the culprit. I stethoscoped it a while ago and noticed the sound was coming from the center front. After the front end got dug into, the crank sensor sprocket’s keyway was found whored out. Don’t know how this happened but Im having the whole timing set and oil pump replaced (why not since it’s opened) for good measure.

If anyone runs into a similar issue you may have this problem. I hope
this post and video helps anyone out if they find themselves scratching their head like I was before I finally got the chance to have it taken care of.
5110AC80-D2F7-4B59-86C9-C513FFF68726.jpeg
Man! That sure allows for a bigger timing variance than you would want! Great find!