4.10 GEARS INSTALLED....HELP DIAGNOSE NOISE

Quadgod

Jul 7, 2005
I recently had a local performance shop install 4.10 gears & a master bearing kit on my 2001 Mustang GT auto. There is a noticable "whoob whoob whoob" noise that can be heard upon decelleration only. No noise is present when accellerating or cruising. What's interesting is it's really pronounced after tapping the brakes when coasting from around 50 to 40 mph. I figure that tapping the brakes eliminates stress on the drivetrain which is why the noise is so obvious. It sounds like a bearing to me. The shop told me that the 4.10 gears are known to accentuate drivetrain noises that aren't noticable with the stock gears. They said an aluminum driveshaft might cure the noise. I don't buy it. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks !

• Sponsors (?)

IMO it is the gears. When putting in a taller gear, the parts inside the diff are moving that much faster, and generating some sort of vacuum in deceleration.

I had 3.73's putting and don't mind the noise. Then I went to a FRPP Al Driveshaft and most of the noise went away. Also, ditch the dogbone, it is unnecessary when you have gears and a driveshaft. Mine is a paperweight for rags in the garage.

It is, but every shop tech I ask about it, it isn't helpful for those with a Al Driveshaft.

I weighs 8 pounds I believe and helps reduce vibrations, but not as good as the driveshaft.

I keep meaning to take mine off when I get some time, I just keep forgetting to take it off.

Also, after awhile, mine looks like it is sliding up and down on one of the bolts it sits on.

The dog bone is for the stock parts, once they are gone then there is no reason for it.

The gears will make noise... sometimes. It all depends on the gears, some do, some don't. My 3.73's make a slight noise from 40-50 that can barely be heard above the exhaust at like 1500 rpm.

I have a friend who put 4.10's in his car and has taken the rear end apart 6 times to try to figure out the noise..... Sometimes they just make noise.

It is, but every shop tech I ask about it, it isn't helpful for those with a Al Driveshaft.

I weighs 8 pounds I believe and helps reduce vibrations, but not as good as the driveshaft.

I keep meaning to take mine off when I get some time, I just keep forgetting to take it off.

Also, after awhile, mine looks like it is sliding up and down on one of the bolts it sits on.

I thought you got rid of your dogbone according to one of your earlier post. Pearl02.