4.10's humming above 40mph

jrockhall

Aug 28, 2003
i just got 4.10's put in and as soon as I go above 40 and let off the gas they're making a humming noise. i talked to a couple of people and they said this is normal. my installer claims "it should get quiter" what do you guys think?

• Sponsors (?)

It is normal depending on your gear set.

Mine does it and I know a lot of people's who does it as well.

if it was made by motive it does it pretty much does it too.

dont let ppl scare u online here telling you it was installed improperly, most people with 4:10's on the S197's rears make some humming esp on Deceleration that I know pretty much of all of south florida.

i forgot the f'n reasoning something w/ the gear being really small and its spinning really fast and some other ****, i cant remember either way ur fine. u either deal with u or keep trying to find a gear set that doesnt make the hum, but because it makes the hum does not mean their is a mech. problem.

but it can mean the gears are not properly set up. take it to another shop and ask for a second opinion. many guys will tell you that it will get quieter hoping you dont come back. check into it, dont just assume one way or the other.

Some race oriented guys will set up gear lash a bit looser for less drag. This will cause a whining noise sometimes. Gears set up with a lash of about 10 thousandths will be fine but will whine. I'd get another shop to look at it to be safe.

By the way, do you still have that 3.73 gear set that came out of the car?