• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-

4.6 Engine Tick

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brady's 2003GT
  • Start date Start date Apr 12, 2017
B

Brady's 2003GT

Member
Oct 12, 2016
94
5
8
Apr 12, 2017
#1
  • Apr 12, 2017
  • #1
well the engine ticks just a little more than it used too. There's absolutely no metal in the oil when I change it. My gas mileage is spot on and I believe it performs how it should. Does anybody else's 4.6 have a tick to there engine? Should I be concerned. 86,xxx miles on the engine. But it is 14 years old
 

Sketchy_GT

Active Member
Nov 13, 2016
194
56
48
Apr 12, 2017
#2
  • Apr 12, 2017
  • #2
my 2003 gt used to tick and it turned out to be the timing chain tensioners were wore enough to let it slap most of the time it stopped when it got warmed up
 
B

Brady's 2003GT

Member
Oct 12, 2016
94
5
8
Apr 13, 2017
#3
  • Apr 13, 2017
  • #3
It sound kinda like it would be something like that. When it's warm outside it's not nearly as bad.
 
B

Brady's 2003GT

Member
Oct 12, 2016
94
5
8
Apr 13, 2017
#4
  • Apr 13, 2017
  • #4
FoxbodyDan123 said:
my 2003 gt used to tick and it turned out to be the timing chain tensioners were wore enough to let it slap most of the time it stopped when it got warmed up
Click to expand...
thanks bro.
 
B

Brady's 2003GT

Member
Oct 12, 2016
94
5
8
Apr 15, 2017
#5
  • Apr 15, 2017
  • #5
Update. I narrowed it down to where it was coming from and it was a compression leak from my back left cylinder. Turns out it was an off set spark plug because I threaded it on crooked. Good thing I didn't strip or cross thread it because I just took it out and put a new one in properly. Problem fixed.
 
B

Brady's 2003GT

Member
Oct 12, 2016
94
5
8
Apr 15, 2017
#6
  • Apr 15, 2017
  • #6
Update. I narrowed it down to where it was coming from and it was a compression leak from my back left cylinder. Turns out it was an off set spark plug because I threaded it on crooked. Good thing I didn't strip or cross thread it because I just took it out and put a new one in properly. Problem fixed.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

B
Engine Another no start after washing engine bay
  • bruno
  • Apr 26, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
911
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 7, 2026
AeroCoupe
B
Engine Strange Noise
  • burntokita
  • May 8, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
483
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 11, 2026
keel
F
Ford 460 swap
  • Ford460
  • Sep 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
293
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Ford460
F
Lifter tick
  • Creomod
  • Oct 31, 2024
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
22
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Nov 10, 2024
Creomod
S
S302 Saleen supercharger help
  • sschoup
  • Nov 19, 2025
  • 2015 - 2023 (S550) Mustang -General/Talk
Replies
2
Views
440
2015 - 2023 (S550) Mustang -General/Talk Nov 19, 2025
sschoup
S
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?