4-cyl mustang gas mileage?

• Sponsors (?)

I've been thinking about buying a 4-cyl mustang for a commuter car. What kind of gas mileage do these cars get? Are they ALL turbo, or were some N/A?

Most were N/A. I think the key to good mileage would be to get one that is lightweight so an earlier model without airbags etc but you have to balance that against fuel efficiency of the different engine fuel management systems. Rear end gearing and manual transmission choices are also a factor.

fueleconomy.gov rates a 1990 lx 4cyl w 5spd at 21/26 mpg

they also rate a 1993 4cyl 5 spd at 19/27 so little differences I guess.

I thought about going this route as well but I remember my 85 GT and it just didn't handle that great compared to the Cobra so I think if I get rid of the Cobra it will be my last Mustang until they come out with a hybrid version lol.:flag:

I'm loving driving my 91 Probe around! I thought I'd hate it, but at 28-30 mpg all the time, I'm loving it. It's light and actually handles okay. It's a fun little car, very cheap and not to bad to drive. Mine's a 2.2L non-turbo.

-Mike

I don't see a big difference in mileage from a 4 banger to a GT. I get the same numbers in my 2001 GT or better than an older 4 cyl. Fox body. The only money you'd be saving is what it costs to insure the older Mustang compared to the newer one. If you can prove to me that you can get more than 200 miles on a tank in city driving with a 4 cyl., I might even consider buying one. Until then, I'll keep driving my GT.

Most were N/A. I think the key to good mileage would be to get one that is lightweight so an earlier model without airbags etc but you have to balance that against fuel efficiency of the different engine fuel management systems. Rear end gearing and manual transmission choices are also a factor.

fueleconomy.gov rates a 1990 lx 4cyl w 5spd at 21/26 mpg

they also rate a 1993 4cyl 5 spd at 19/27 so little differences I guess.

I thought about going this route as well but I remember my 85 GT and it just didn't handle that great compared to the Cobra so I think if I get rid of the Cobra it will be my last Mustang until they come out with a hybrid version lol.:flag:

The 91-93's had dual plugs per cylinder and a few other things. This gave them a little more power. That might be the reason for gas mileage differences.

I average 27- 28 mpg or so in my 4 banger notch but the majority is highway miles. It has a 87 turbo-coupe drivetrain and made 197 hp and 290 torque at the wheels and 3.73 gears so it isnt exactly stock. I should add that I do beat the car on every onramp and whenever I get the chance. ;)

I have a 1992 LX 4 cyl. my daughter has been driving for 4 years. These are excellent cars for commuting in, ours has full options and an automatic. The mileage can be as high as 28 on the highway if you aren't using the AC and usually 21-22 in town. The distributerless dual plug engine is bulletproof except for needing a new timing belt every 100k. Four years ago you couldn't give away a four cyl. car and I bought this one lady owner garaged car with 89k for $1200, it's probably worth 3 times that today, from what I hear the dealers are saying no one will even look at a car with anything but a 4 cyl. engine. And yes it's cheap to insure.

Dan

Meh... I wouldn't get too happy about high 20's in a four-banger. Driven carefully, a GT of similar (87-93) vintage can knock down 27+ MPG on the freeway. For that matter, my '01 Crown Vic can manage 25+.

All turbocharged? Hardly. Statistically speaking, very few of them were. 87+, none at all.

Meh... I wouldn't get too happy about high 20's in a four-banger. Driven carefully, a GT of similar (87-93) vintage can knock down 27+ MPG on the freeway. For that matter, my '01 Crown Vic can manage 25+.

All turbocharged? Hardly. Statistically speaking, very few of them were. 87+, none at all.

True that driven slow a V-8 can get good highway mileage but in Seattle that is impossible, with the stop and go traffic we have your highway mileage will be the same as in town. I have owned many V-8 Mustangs in my 52 years and none have got more than 12-14 in town. If you look at my post again you will see that our 4 banger gets 21-22 in town so yes you can save a lot of money and it also doesn't require premium. I often swap cars with my kids when I need to run errands and send them to school with my thirsty Denali 6.0 pickup. I have no problems driving the 2.3 auto Mustang, it's very comfortable and looks good with the nice wheels and 5.0 LX exhaust system we put on it. Even with 2 teenage drivers the 92 only cost me $550 a year to insure.

Dan

Well with a turbo you would have a 4 cyl Fox car that was faster than a stock V8 car with better MPG.
A Cosworth Duratec would be really cool.
1144945832450.jpg

Well I pretty much already have that with the 2.3. But the better flow and newer technology of the Duratec would probably be even better. And it would be different which is always cool.

Kinda funny but lately I have been thinking it might be cool to do a 99-up 2.3 turbo drag car. Get the thing down into the 2500 lbs dry range, do a tall deck block and make it a 2.8. Get an Esslinger head and have a serious CNC job done on it with 35+ psi out of a tight a/r small scroll T76.
Throw a built C4 behind it with a brake leaving at 12 some odd lbs of boost. Throw 03/04 cobra front and rear bumper covers with dual exhaust sticking out the back.
Going to the track, running 9s, pissing off the honduhs and f-bodys, priceless I say, just priceless.

I know you arent much of a drag racer but I figured I would share my latest hair-brained thought.

so far ive been gettin 21mpg combined in my 97 gt,granted im up shifting at 1500rpm and driving like an old lady most of the time,but there is the once and a while 1st-3rd pull getting on the freeway,i think i can get around 25 if im real easy on it.
my honda only got 30mpg combined,and it cost me more to drive in a week(stupid car only liked premium bad pinging withe proper timming?),so i sold it.no complaits
the $4.25 a gallon hasint started hurting yet.

I have a 2 door 1981 Fairmont with a 2.3 and a 4 speed. No overdrive! I get 27mpg at 70 mph with the engine spinning about 3,300-3,400 rpm. I imagine if it had a 5 speed it would get over 30mpg. I average 20 mpg in town. And this damn this has a carburetor!!!! I would think with EFI it would get even better mileage!

Not sure how people are getting these extreme numbers, my 4cyl auto got 19mpg AVG. I do almost exactly 50/50 surface versus highway 15miles each way.. That is computed over 4 tanks of fuel with little fluctuation..

My 95 Vert 5spd gets 15-17mpg on the same commute depending on how much I goof around. I am also now doing the <2k shifting and saw a solid 1mpg increase just from that.

One thing to think about is that if you are NOT going to sell your V8 or toehr gas guzzler or at least take it off your insurance you need to add the cost of insurance of the new car to your $$ before calculating any savings.. My commute is so short that after the $50/month insurance was added for the 4cyl, it cost me more to run the 4cyl than to just stick with the Vert.
:jaw:

Not sure how people are getting these extreme numbers, my 4cyl auto got 19mpg AVG. I do almost exactly 50/50 surface versus highway 15miles each way.. That is computed over 4 tanks of fuel with little fluctuation..

My 95 Vert 5spd gets 15-17mpg on the same commute depending on how much I goof around. I am also now doing the <2k shifting and saw a solid 1mpg increase just from that.

One thing to think about is that if you are NOT going to sell your V8 or toehr gas guzzler or at least take it off your insurance you need to add the cost of insurance of the new car to your $$ before calculating any savings.. My commute is so short that after the $50/month insurance was added for the 4cyl, it cost me more to run the 4cyl than to just stick with the Vert.
:jaw:

Make sure your O2 sensor has been replaced if you have over 100k, our mileage increased by almost 3 mpg when i replaced it.

Dan