4 lug rear disc pic request

• Sponsors (?)

00car014.jpg

here ya go its the ssbc kit but its the same as the turbo coupe and cobra stuff. phil

Attachments

• 00car014.jpg
    00car014.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 82
Cool.....do you have any pics with the wheels on the car yet?

I think while i have it apart I am going to get beter axle shafts, rebuild trac lock and some weld in battle boxes.......plus i am goin to have the axle powder coated.

the pony boy said:
00car014.jpg

here ya go its the ssbc kit but its the same as the turbo coupe and cobra stuff. phil

Not QUITE teh same as the turbo coupe + cobra stuff with regards to the axle length. The SSBC kit allows you to run your stock axles and retain the stock track width. Id post up pics of my Rear SSBC kit, but its sitting in a box in my bedroom:D , winter project not quite under way yet.

Attachments

• 00car014.jpg
    00car014.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 97
Flav,

I think in order to make the call on which to keep, you have to know which wheel you will want to run. I believe this is the most importent aspect. Big brakes can be had for 4 lug, they are just more expensive or you could go the custom route.

Do you want 5 lug wheels? If it were me and I liked my current 4 lug wheel, I would just use what you have.

On a side note, I do not know which width wheel you have in the rear, but if you plan to run the T-Bird rear axle length, Things may get tricky with backspace/offset. You could always get the North Cobra brackets for the T-Bird brakes. They allow you to run the Fox length axle and still use the T-Bird calipers.

Just an FYI. :D

im running a tc rear and thought i'd have much more clearance issues then i really do. they are a bit wider however give the car a better stance imo. it made my 245's look like 275 lol, so yeah, but do you know all you have to do to make that work. im pretty sure you have to go with a different master cylinder. and if you do want to go 5 lug but keep the t/c rear, then go to discbrakes are us, they offer a re-drilled rotor for the tc rear that will fit 4 and 5 lug. it might be worth looking into.

THE PONY BOY:

How much of a braking difference did installing the kit make? are you still running the stock calipers up front or did you upgrade to the 73mm units?

I'm not trying to speak for PONY BOY, but i installed my brakes in two steps. The first was to convert the rear to '94-'04 Cobra brakes: 11.65" rotor, Varga caliper, 5 lug on a Fox length axle. I did all of the neccesary mods: M/C, Willwood prop valve, gutted the stock proportioning valve and replaced the valve cap with a solid unit. I did not notice a big difference in the stopping power. It was slightly better than the rear drums. What I did notice was that the stop was much smoother and more controlled feeling. The fade was not there any longer.

Now, when I added the 13" Cobra fronts with '95 spindles and PBR 2 piston calipers up front, the difference was night and day. Stops are much shorter.

Basically, you will not increase the stopping power with just a rear disc conversion. I can back this statment with a call that I made to Baer when I was expecting more from my rear disc swap. The sales rep told me that the real benefit is in the fade resistance the rear disc offers.

Think of it as a nice upgrade in looks and the start of a good foundation for further braking improvements.

9 Deuce GT said:
I'm not trying to speak for PONY BOY, but i installed my brakes in two steps. The first was to convert the rear to '94-'04 Cobra brakes: 11.65" rotor, Varga caliper, 5 lug on a Fox length axle. I did all of the neccesary mods: M/C, Willwood prop valve, gutted the stock proportioning valve and replaced the valve cap with a solid unit. I did not notice a big difference in the stopping power. It was slightly better than the rear drums. What I did notice was that the stop was much smoother and more controlled feeling. The fade was not there any longer.

Now, when I added the 13" Cobra fronts with '95 spindles and PBR 2 piston calipers up front, the difference was night and day. Stops are much shorter.

Basically, you will not increase the stopping power with just a rear disc conversion. I can back this statment with a call that I made to Baer when I was expecting more from my rear disc swap. The sales rep told me that the real benefit is in the fade resistance the rear disc offers.

Think of it as a nice upgrade in looks and the start of a good foundation for further braking improvements.

I didnt do it for performance anyways, if I got some out of it then it was a bonus, I just cannot stand those drums, they ARE SO UGLY. People bash 4 lug all day, 4 lug isnt the problem or whats ugly its those fackin drums.

I dont have a problem with the stopping power of my brakes anyways, All new rotors/lines/calipers w/ hawk pads, the car slows down plenty fast enough. The fox brakes arent all that crap, maybe if you neglect them for 15 years, but in that amount of time anything will degrade.

9 Deuce GT said:
Flav,

I think in order to make the call on which to keep, you have to know which wheel you will want to run. I believe this is the most importent aspect. Big brakes can be had for 4 lug, they are just more expensive or you could go the custom route.

Do you want 5 lug wheels? If it were me and I liked my current 4 lug wheel, I would just use what you have.

On a side note, I do not know which width wheel you have in the rear, but if you plan to run the T-Bird rear axle length, Things may get tricky with backspace/offset. You could always get the North Cobra brackets for the T-Bird brakes. They allow you to run the Fox length axle and still use the T-Bird calipers.

Just an FYI. :D

I plan on running my 17x9 cobra r wheels, if i go to a five lug i would like to use the 10th annaversary wheels. I am buying a house so i figured since i can get a good deal on this i might as well go for it, ina few years when i get bored i will change to 5 lug.

I think the TC axle is only .75" wider right? I should be ok

I can get you some pics tomorrow if you want, I have the turbo coupe rear end but with 16" pony wheels. Let me know if you want me to post it up...I honestly haven't payed attention to see how much of the rotor or caliper you can see through it, cuz the spokes are pretty beefy on those wheels.

smokin91' said:
THE PONY BOY:

How much of a braking difference did installing the kit make? are you still running the stock calipers up front or did you upgrade to the 73mm units?

i did the fronts also with ss lines.at first it was ruff dialing everything in (bleeding everthing and setting the pro valve)i also changed the booster to a 95 unit and the mc to a 93 cobra.the feel is better but i dont know how much better it stops. phil

the pony boy said:
i did the fronts also with ss lines.at first it was ruff dialing everything in (bleeding everthing and setting the pro valve)i also changed the booster to a 95 unit and the mc to a 93 cobra.the feel is better but i dont know how much better it stops. phil

why did you change the booster? you dont need to change that when doing the SSBC swap.

If your doing disk rears than 90% of it will be for looks and in a lot of cases you actually decrease the rear braking power. Disk brakes require more pressure to opperate but dont fade like drums do, however drum brakes have much more surface area and are generaly more powerful at lower pressures, but they tend to lock up easier. Semi trucks use drum brakes because they are more powerful and easier to package. I would like disk rears but I dont have the cash to be buying things almost purely for looks.

There is no way Adding disc brakes will DECREASE the stopping power. Maybe if you dont do the upgrade right and stick with a stock master cylinder or something, but if done right, disc will always be superiour to stone aged drums.

I got a deal on my SSBC kit i couldnt pass up. 300$ for the complete kit minus the master cylinder (which i just picked up new on ebay for 60$) and the master cylinder conversion lines (10$ from crappy tire). So I was happy to shell out the 370$ to get rid of those rear drums.

All and all DRUM BRAKES ARE BALLS, they have NO place being on any car that is meant to go fast, or even STOP for that matter. I dont know what ford was thinking when they put drums on the 87-93's...... OH WAIT yes i do, DRUMS ARE CHEAP AS ****.

wow can ya tell I hate my drum brakes

Drum brakes do have more stopping power, they would not put them on big rigs if they didn't I never said they were good for performance, in fact I said they were suseptable to fade and to locking up easily. More surface area and contact means better stopping power.

I think they put them on big rigs because of their simplicity/reliability, their long life and their cheap cost more so then because of their stopping power.

I bet if you rigged up a big rig with disc brakes at a much higher cost of course vs a standard drum brake equipped, the disc one would stop way faster.

It wouldn't, you couldn't make them large enough to get the surface contact, and they would warp like crazy. Big rigs are very expensive and have tons of expensive top of the line stuff, they do not BS about the stopping power because there are lives at risk. You are straight up wrong dude.