410 or 390?

• Sponsors (?)

the difference in 3.90's and 4.10's is minimal

just get the 4.10's. your mileage will increase around town and if you can stay under the speed limit highway mpg won't change much, if at all

I have 4.10s in my car and that was the first mod I ever did. I never really noticed a drop in mpg with just the gears, maybe 1-2 mpg less but that just can be different drving conditions.

a year ago i almost bought 3:90's for mine but the tech guy at sct said he could not correct my speedo for this gear it might have changed by now but if your using a tuner u might ask

I read some more of these threads on gears on here and another forum that discussed quality/reliability/whining problems that come along with some of the brands that make 3.90's. Is that true or did i hear bullsheait? :shrug:

Gear whine is all about the installation, not the hardware. I have Motive 3.90s -- have had em in for 2 years and they don't whine. I've heard Ford gears that whined as well as Motives and other brands. Just make sure you hire a good, EXPERIENCED installer.

There used to be no real difference between Motive 3.90s and FRPP (Ford) 4.10s -- in fact Motive MADE the gears for Ford. I've heard that within the last year or so, Ford slightly changed the design on the gears so that the FRPP gears are slightly easier to set right on install and Motive no longer makes them for Ford.
Just food for thought -- Motive is still a very good brand.

I have had 4:10s and 3:90's

Pros 410s power band quicker and they ride great in the city
Cons SUCK MONEY AZZ ON THE FREEWAY and anything above 130 your tranny starts to hurt if you have a 5 speed

Pros 390s They dont kill on the freeway but can still get you into the power band just as quick
Cons YOU MIGHT AS WELL GET 410s if your N/A LOL

Gear whine is all about the installation, not the hardware. I have Motive 3.90s -- have had em in for 2 years and they don't whine. I've heard Ford gears that whined as well as Motives and other brands. Just make sure you hire a good, EXPERIENCED installer.

There used to be no real difference between Motive 3.90s and FRPP (Ford) 4.10s -- in fact Motive MADE the gears for Ford. I've heard that within the last year or so, Ford slightly changed the design on the gears so that the FRPP gears are slightly easier to set right on install and Motive no longer makes them for Ford.
Just food for thought -- Motive is still a very good brand.

i did not know this. good info. thanks. :nice:

Got 3..73 and 4.10 and wish both had 4.10 (although my 3.73 is a good excuse to add a blower...!)
If staying NA, 4.10 is the way to go, especially with the Mod motor...it begs for increased torque down low...

I looked up to see what the 4.6 godfather, Sean Hyland, suggested for gears. He

recommends for 96-98 2v 4.6 3.73 and for Cobras 4.10. His reason was even

though the 2v revs to 6000 its power drops out by 5000, so the car is out of

breath way too soon with 4.10s.