427 (351W stroker) opinions

jon weatherford

Founding Member
Jul 7, 2000
Anyone have any experience or info on running a 351W stroker 427 as far as the typical 'stroker' concerns like, rod ratio, oil control, etc?? Is this a good way to go?? Dependable?? RPM range??

Any inputs or opinions/experience would be great. Thanks...

• Sponsors (?)

jon weatherford said:
Anyone have any experience or info on running a 351W stroker 427 as far as the typical 'stroker' concerns like, rod ratio, oil control, etc?? Is this a good way to go?? Dependable?? RPM range??

Any inputs or opinions/experience would be great. Thanks...

Personally I would go with a 408 or similar. I don't like the idea of pushing out every cube possible for reliability reasons(which is why I bought a 327 stroker kit as opposed to a 342/347)

I don't really have any first hand experience with Windsor strokers, though. But there is my opinion for what it's worth.

-Dave

I"ve been running a 600+ hp 418 'stroker' for the last 3 years. No reliability problems. Granted, it's not a 'street driven' vehicle, but it DOES get the snot beat out of it, every time it runs down the track.
I also know of a 427 that my machinist put together that made (with twinky hydraulic roller cam), 500 hp/500 tq, (approx......was more, forget the numbers).
That guy's putting it in a late model chassis for street 'playing'.
It you spend money on good parts, and have a good machinist, you'll have no problems.
My .002 :)