460 in a fox vert

cqstang

Founding Member
Jan 26, 2002
just toying around with the idea but how hard would it be . what all would i need to buy in order for it too work. and are the gains worth it . need some opinions

:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

your going to need custom headers, I think Hooker header makes them. Your also going to need some custom motor mounts. Don't know who makes them off hand but you can look in summit racing for them. Besides that your going to need the obvious like beefed up suspension, roll cage so the sub frame doenst bend, huge radiator, of course a cowl hood and probably a C6 if your going to go with a auto. And def a 9 inch to take the power.

you can use a 8.8, just make it bullet proof with like 35 spine axles. all depends on how crazy you want to get with the engine. Yeh it will def be worth it if you have the money because big block power comes with big block price. But its not hard to make a big block make crazy HP N/A and still be able to drive it on the street. With a small block, yeh you can make crazy HP but its not gunna be all that streetable, like all the power is gunna be high in the rpm range.

Don't even bother unless you plan on at least a 6 point cage, but an 8-10 would be even better. Being a vert means it's going to flex like a noodle under the torque that motor is going to make.

Also, IMO it's a waste of time unless you're building a strip only car. It's going to be so nose heavy and corner like a greased up turd. Plus, you can make just as much torque and HP with a 302 if you get a power adder. The only good reason for a block that big is if you want a naturally aspirated motor, in which case you can stroke it well past 500ci.

I'm with 85SS - 460 torque + flexible vert unibody = pretzel; you've got to really stiffen up the unibody with that much torque. And with all that weight in so far in front, will it understeer? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full. Especially under low speed aggressive cornering, the front tires will raise more objections than overpaid lawyers. I think you'd be better off all the way around building a stroker 351 -- 393 or 408. With aluminum heads/radiator - you'll have much less weight on the front, almost as much power (throw a 100 shot at it if it's not enough for you), and you'll be able to have a hood on it that won't make the front of the car look like a cartoon. Not that I'm opinionated on any of this or anything. :)

There are 2 advantages to a big block. You can do mega cubes 550+ for monster power and torque with a single 4 barrel and no power adder.
The other is sometimes you can get them cheap (or already have one). Clean them up, put a cam, intake and carb on there and have 500 streetable horse power. Plus you can throw a 200 shot on there with mostly stock internals.

The disadvantages have already been covered. But one point on that. 408 with good torque and vert also equals pretzel, so that will have to be addressed with ANY high power application. Even a turbo 302.

IMO to start from scratch, I love the 408 option. Seems hard to beat parts are cheaply available. It easily fits in a stang and it makes stupid power.

PS saw an old volvo motoring down the road yesterday and thought of you M.Y. Not exactly of you, but your sleeper volvo v8!