4th battery dead

StangCrazy302Gt

Founding Member
Apr 25, 2002
New Jerzy
ok guys i have went threw four batteries so far , the car sits for a few days then its dead.... could this be the alt??? or would something else drain the battery??? i am looking at getting a new alt probably in teh next few days but dont want to throw money away if its something small and cheep

• Sponsors (?)

It could also be a short somewhere in the wiring that is keeping power on all the time. I believe that you can just take the alternator out and get it tested at Autozone or someplace like that. If the car is just sitting and losing batteries then it probably isn't the alternator.

yes, it could happen. Mine was so bad that the battery was the only thing firing the computer AT 9 VOLTS! ! ! I had to push start it 3 times in one day and the whole car was literally running off the batt. Its 2 bolts and a serpentine pully, take it off and run to the autozone for it to get checked

Diagnostics before throwing money at parts is always wise. If your battery goes from being fine to dead because of a few days of inactivity, look for parasitic draw. Typical sources are glovebox lights, hatch lights, visor/vanity lights staying lit at all times, etc.

Use your DMM in series with the battery terminal and cable to check for current draw. Be sure your meter probe's and knobs are in the appropriate positions to measure current draw (in amps). Also ensure all interior and hood lights are off during your test.
Good luck.

I doubt that it is just the alternator, because I have run on just the battery for hours before. That makes me believe that it is something small just drawing on the battery throughout the week. Like everyone said just take your alternator out and take it to Autozone to get checked. You may get lucky and that be the problem, that'll be a lot easier than searching for something that is drawing power!

Exactly, I recently had a similar situation. It was a corroded terminal that connected to the alt. I checked pos. and neg. wires, ground connections, replaced terminals, etc.. I replaced the connector that attaches to the fuselink cable and the battery is now getting fully charged.

well it wasnt the alt.. the sincronizer is that the volt regulatror on teh fender??? teh next thing im doing is changilng the neg and pos wires and the conectors because they are starting to fray