4v foxbody

RJ Brar

May 27, 2017
Hello guys, just picked up a Lincoln mark viii with the 4v motor for 300 bucks. I’m going to be swapping the motor into my 87 notch. I wanted to get info what I should do to the motor before I throw it in the fox. Like any thing these motors are known for that’s better to change it before I put it in? Motor has 175k on it. I want to eventually sc it. I know if I go the m112 route I need to go with the termi heads. Any benefits of porting the current head? I also have a cobra upper n Lower intake for it. Any other recommendations for power please mention it. Thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

Hello guys, just picked up a Lincoln mark viii with the 4v motor for 300 bucks. I’m going to be swapping the motor into my 87 notch. I wanted to get info what I should do to the motor before I throw it in the fox. Like any thing these motors are known for that’s better to change it before I put it in? Motor has 175k on it. I want to eventually sc it. I know if I go the m112 route I need to go with the termi heads. Any benefits of porting the current head? I also have a cobra upper n Lower intake for it. Any other recommendations for power please mention it. Thank you.
Hi, Did you get clarification regarding your question, apologies for the late response.
-John

Hi,
Well that’s not good.. What yr is this, 93-98’?
I’m not being cruel here, only realistic.. If you’re going where you are with this, rebuild it. Tekskid motors last long miles, (reasonably cared for), but is now headed for a few levels of mod’s, incl. FI.
The NA Cobra build will probably not have issues, can’t say for certain..who can unless you’ve thoroughly scoped out the motors innards.

No doubt you can get to where you want, I’d seriously consider going through it & seeing what things look like apart.
The 4V head cc’s and pistons won’t allow much room for boost.
The levels of build hinge both on your budget & goals. Say intent is FI. You can buy a reciprocating assembly, fairly reasonably, a cast crank sitting in pristine std.bearings, I beams, Hypereutectic Dish Pistons cc’d for your purpose, long duration Cams & you can spin 600-700HP out of it. Steel & Forged, studded, girdled- 1,000 Hp, or more. Head porting isn’t as much a concern with FI, unless your going for the Fox pretzel twist HP/TQ levels.
If you want to hit it in the middle, do that- so you can do your (2) stages, spend a little less on the Shortblock. Keep the Cams so they’ll work for both FI & NA., etc.
Or, go with the Cobra NA build & build it for that, but a lot better, not be concerned about the bottom end, except that it’s fresh, hate for you to have to rip that motor back out again, due to a part failure.
Do you have more history on that motor?
-John