5.0 block reliability

snake109

Dec 2, 2004
Austin TX
im thinking of selling my 2.3 fox and buying a 87-93 5.0 fox. hows the reliability on these motors? a couple or all original foxes im looking at are between 120k-160k miles with regular oil changes, whats your thought on these? thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

im very mechanical savy when it comes to rebuilding engines, but i dont have a hoist any more. is it possible to rebuild them with the block still in the engine bay, i dont know if thers anything blocking the bottom from pulling out the crank and such.

snake109 said:
im very mechanical savy when it comes to rebuilding engines, but i dont have a hoist any more. is it possible to rebuild them with the block still in the engine bay, i dont know if thers anything blocking the bottom from pulling out the crank and such.

Cross member is in the way,,, Hoist are cheap or rent one. But If treated right the 302 will last a long time. My buddy has a daily driver with 160k on it and runs like a champ. He put nitrous on it and it ran 13.20@100 LOL still going strong.

The engines, provided they have been somewhat maintained, will last quite a while. I have over 160k on my 93, my 91 had 165k on it when I sold it and my brothers 89 had 205k when he sold it. None of them smoked or used excessive amounts of oil and we beat on them pretty hard. But we changed the oil and kept up with routine maintenance.

If you don't have a lift you can usually rent one for a day for about $35 or at least that is the going rate down here.

+1 on a little excessive mileage,but if you mantain your vehicles well,the car will return the favor.Everyone i know insists the 302 and the 350 are 2 of the stoutest motors ever produced!(I know Im gonna catch slack on that statement):rolleyes: :flag: .I beat the ever loving piss outta mine and it jus refuses to let me down!

Blakthorn said:
how much does a quality rebuilt cost at a shop?

You mean to have yours rebuilt if you bought it.How much power do you want?If you mean how much is a different motor gonna cost.You can look through the classifieds on stangnets homepage to get a ballpark.There is a low mileage 5.0 complete in there from miami for $150.This a little low,but you get the idea.Shop around to fit your budget,you always can with a stang.