5.0 donor car

monk_byrd14

Apr 13, 2004
I have been a long time lurker of this forum, but forgot my old password and email address so i had to reregister today. Anyway i have an 89 notchback five speed 4 cylinder and just recently purchased a 89 gt t5. The car runs and drives good, but I want to put everything into the coupe(I LOVE COUPES). I just wanted to ask if there is a book for this kind of complete swap. Also do ya'll think it is stupid to do this, because the coupe will never be a real 5.0. Many thanks in advance for any help, or insight.

Daniel"monk"Byrd

• Sponsors (?)

HELL NO, do it man, make your coupe your dream car. You have the car you want now make it have the v-8 rumble you want. It is just a GT, not a cobra. I did it and am much happier but I had totally different reasons for it (long story short, the GT had bad paper work). If you need help there are a bunch of people who have done. My 4cyl had a auto so I also swapped the pedals and everything for a t-5. Good luck bro. Remember, it is your car, so make it just that.

No really switch everything... it's an easy job since you have a donner car for it. It shouldn't take longer than a weekend to do, worst case two weekends... I'm doing this without a donner car (big PITA to find parts) but it's worth every effort since clean 5.0 Mustangs are really hard to find around here.

It will give you a chance to clean up the engine bay and what not too..

Boss 351 said:
No really switch everything... it's an easy job since you have a donner car for it. It shouldn't take longer than a weekend to do, worst case two weekends... I'm doing this without a donner car (big PITA to find parts) but it's worth every effort since clean 5.0 Mustangs are really hard to find around here.

It will give you a chance to clean up the engine bay and what not too..

I'd like to find out what kind of vitamins you're taking - it took me 2 days just to remove & replace the same type engine, and another day to troubleshoot and fix all the little problems. That doesn't include things like swapping the wiring harnesses, moving fuel lines, swapping the brakes, springs & struts.

Take your time and do it right. Don't be surprised if it takes a month or more of weekends to do the job. :spot:

I agree with everybody else. Go ahead and swap everything over. If not for anything else do it for the cheaper insurance. 4-cyl. insurance is cheaper than v8 insurance. They don't look under the hood of the car, they just look at the VIN. :D :nice: I want a fox bady coupe too. I'll build me one one day. I want to drop a stroked 351 w/ a nice shot of nitrous in one though.

First off, do it.

Second off, do it.

The Fox body is so plentiful that I really don't see it having some mass collector appeal, unless you have one of a handful of special edition cars (Pace Car, GT350, 1993 SVT Cobra or Cobra R) that's in mint condition.

Ok, next question, what kind of shape is the GT in? My advice would be to swap over the running gear, suspension, etc. from the GT into the 4 banger, and have yourself a nice mildly modded 5.0 Notch. I would almost bet dollars to donuts you could sell that GT Chassis to someone looking to build a drag car/road racer, and cover the cost of your swap, and maybe some goodies like exhaust upgrades, electric fan, gears, etc.

Doing everything with the donor car will be much easier than trying to piecemeal it. I don't know what kind of shape your GT is in, but I imagine if you could sell it as a rolling chassis, you could get get $500 -$2000 for it depending on the condition of it.

Hax

jrichker said:
I'd like to find out what kind of vitamins you're taking - it took me 2 days just to remove & replace the same type engine, and another day to troubleshoot and fix all the little problems. That doesn't include things like swapping the wiring harnesses, moving fuel lines, swapping the brakes, springs & struts.

Take your time and do it right. Don't be surprised if it takes a month or more of weekends to do the job. :spot:

Could chips and salsa be a vitamin? :D

Thanks guys for the encuragement(sp). The gt is in good shape but it is primered and the interior is a little ruff, other than that it is fine. Is there a thread or a book that gives step by step instructions on how to do the conversion.

ttt

well, I couldnt find one when I did mine but good luck with the search. As for the insurance... it is called fraud if you dont disclose all information about your car. So if it gets stolen and you have full coverage they wont pay you for the v-8 price, only the 4cyl, or if you get into an accident they wont repair the v-8 or they wont even touch b/c you didnt tell them to begin with... up to you but I would play it safe. my .02