5.0 HO in '66 Coupe

redone

Jan 16, 2003
Has anyone done this swap? I have a C4 transmission (original - rebuilt though) and I'm considering this swap. What do need to get as far as computer modules? Or can I convert to carburetor with this engine?

Need all the reliable information I can get.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Lots of people have done the swap. You can keep it EFI, or convert to carb. The carb conversion is much easier (especially with wiring), but then you lose the benefits of EFI. Start by checking out my website which has some pictures and helpful links, then keep searching here and other places on the web to decide if its something you want to tackle. Here's my conversion:
DSC00563sm.jpg

PCH Cruiser - about how much would you guess that it cost you, or would cost to put a 5.0, and new tranny in a 65 coupe? Just wondering because someone offered me a 65 for cheap and the body is perfect, but the engine and tranny are not. Thanks

Can you do the wiring mods yourself? If so, you can probably pick up a 5.0 with all wiring and computer for about $500-700. Maybe $300-400 for a T5 tranny. Then add about $300-400 for misc. stuff like fuel pump, fuel line, radiator mods (or new radiator) and basic tune up stuff. $1500 would be my ballpark guess. The wiring was definately the hardest part, so if you don't do that yourself, add another $400 for a custom wiring harness.

redone said:
Has anyone done this swap? I have a C4 transmission (original - rebuilt though) and I'm considering this swap. What do need to get as far as computer modules? Or can I convert to carburetor with this engine?

Need all the reliable information I can get.

Thanks.
The above advice is good if you have a V8 in the car now. If it is an original 6 then you have other issues like rearend, front suspension and brakes, radiator, etc.