5.0 mods for like 500. Have a lot done.

hdawg06

Jan 8, 2006
My friend and I were trying to figure out what we could do to his '95GT. He has shorty headers, x-pipe, magnaflow exhaust, pullies, short shifter, K&N filter, plugs/wires.

What are some cheap mods that we could do to it besides CAI and gears to break into the 13s. He has had the car for about a month, and estimates a low 14sec 1/4mi. What would be the best option besides a cam, and tires. Would gears, CAI be the best or spend money else where with the drop in filter?

• Sponsors (?)

Gears, port the stock lower, add a homemade CAI...That'll wake it up bigtime...
Best money spent for shear enjoyment has gotta be gears....Doing it all over that would be the top on the list.....after exhaust, which he did already...

hdawg06 said:
My friend and I were trying to figure out what we could do to his '95GT. He has shorty headers, x-pipe, magnaflow exhaust, pullies, short shifter, K&N filter, plugs/wires.

What are some cheap mods that we could do to it besides CAI and gears to break into the 13s. He has had the car for about a month, and estimates a low 14sec 1/4mi. What would be the best option besides a cam, and tires. Would gears, CAI be the best or spend money else where with the drop in filter?
gears and drag radials would be your best bang for the buck. aside from that, a 75hp nitrous kit should do the job too.

Scott_95GT said:
Get Ford Motorsport 3:73 gears, and have them professionally installed. You should have enough left over ($50) to get a fenderwell ebay CAI. It will be in the 13's if driven right.

At least 4.10s. Don't fear the gear. That will leave you with something like 50-100 dollars. With that money, I wouldn't do the CAI, its not really effective, our stock air box is pretty much setup for cold air anyway.

I'd use the remaining change on sub frame connectors.

Adam

If 1/4 mile times are all he's worried about, subframe connectors will do him ZERO good.

GEARS!!! 3.73's at least, maybe 4.10's if he wants. Otherwise, an intake manifold, like a used Cobra is real cheap (around $200-$300) and will add a nice chunk of power.

CManT1914 said:
If 1/4 mile times are all he's worried about, subframe connectors will do him ZERO good.

GEARS!!! 3.73's at least, maybe 4.10's if he wants. Otherwise, an intake manifold, like a used Cobra is real cheap (around $200-$300) and will add a nice chunk of power.

If you think that upgrading your chassis and reducing flex has nothing to do with putting power to the ground then I suggest the search button. The FOX platform is not that solid and any kind of subframe system, full length preferably, is a necessary upgrade if you're serious about putting down any kind of torque.

V8SHME8 said:
I agree, having a structurally sound car is over rated and useless.

:lol: :rlaugh: :D

Adam

V8SHME8 said:
I agree, having a structurally sound car is over rated and useless.

I'm going by not only mine, but several friend's experience with them. Do subframes help transfer weight to the rear wheels? No. They help reduce body roll. Thus, I don't see any 1/4 benefits from them, as they are more for cornering in my opinion. I added full length weld in subframe connectors, with seat brackets, and gained ZERO in my 1/4 times. My cornering has been AWESOME ever since though.

Black95GTS said:
If you think that upgrading your chassis and reducing flex has nothing to do with putting power to the ground then I suggest the search button. The FOX platform is not that solid and any kind of subframe system, full length preferably, is a necessary upgrade if you're serious about putting down any kind of torque.

Adam

Like I said, I don't see them as helping weight transfer to the rear wheels, so I don't think they help launching. I've never heard ANY mustang guy brag about how his SFC's helped his launch.

/RANT

i may be wrong here but dont subframe connecters help reduce the body flex and twist on the launch?thats why people put them on there cars am i correct there or wrong?if so,then thats where you would get the benefit of sfc's.correct?

94opalgt said:
i may be wrong here but dont subframe connecters help reduce the body flex and twist on the launch?thats why people put them on there cars am i correct there or wrong?if so,then thats where you would get the benefit of sfc's.correct?

They keep the front end from twisting in porportion to the rear end of the car. They basically tie the two ends together. You'll see major improvements in cornering. But I really don't think anybody is gonna see much gain if any on their launch. The launch is all about transferring weight to the rear of the car. How are SFC's supposed to do this? I just don't think there are any 1/4 mile racing benefits from them. I still like them, that's why I have a set on my stang, but I didn't get them for the dragstrip (good thing too since I saw ZERO gains!).

the only 1320 launch benefit from sfc's would be if the front tires are coming way off the ground and the chassis is twisting in the air, and i dont expect that happening for another few hundred horsepower in this car at least hahaha. for 500$, get the gears, and if you can work the angles and money get an upper and lower intake, or d/r's... now we're talkin bigger cash than just 500$ (probably) but since when does anyones restrictive budget allow for everything you need (or want)???

well then when anyone starts making alot of power and racing there car on a regular basis and using the sticky tires you would want sfc's so your car does not twist?if you are keeping your car from twisting how can that not be a benefit? i know he really dont need to worry about this now,but cmon now how can you say zero gain if its keeping your car straight?you may not have seen any gain in your et but they are helping out in keeping the unibody intact from stress fracture's(cracks)which i do see on fox cars under the hatch if they are raced alot.i know the fox's and the sn95's are different,and from what ive read the our cars dont twist as much but they do twist.i know he wants power now which is what this thread is about,most gain for 500 bucks.now i agree with you that its a waste of money to get them now,but to say they are worth zero unless you want good cornering is just wrong.unless you are road racing.how much cornering do you need on the street anyways?i guess its just a matter of opinion if they are worth anything to you or not.

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. Any deviance from the line is added distance onto the end, and consequently it will take longer to traverse the distance. If the rear end of the car is not tracking straight with the front suspension, you just added more distance to cover across the 1320.

I am not suggesting that this should be the next investment for this guy to make, but subframe connectors are not without their merits. I personally think they should be the first modification on any Mustang since most have been driven hard for the past decade, and need a little support from all the abuse.

Something that you should consider is that a more solid chassis will provide more consistency. If you have noticed zero difference between before the subframes and after, you might want to think about the fact that in spite of adding the weight of the SFC's, you still get the same times.