5.0 Temperature Gauge help?

88blowngt

Jun 29, 2009
Dover, Delaware
I know this may seem like a noobie question but I've never found the answer. Also I already know the stock gauge is a POS and doesnt always read accurately. But as far as the gauge goes, can the letters N O R M A L, be depicted as a rough temperature estimate? Thanks guys. :)

• Sponsors (?)

I think that the only true use of the factory gauge is to let you know if something has changed.

For example I changed my radiator and found that (relative to previous reading) my needle sat a bit lower and stayed there on hot days.

Even it someone tries to answer your request (and I don't think anyone will) it would not be trustworthy.

Measure your actual (not relative) temp using another instrument, one that is accurate.

I agree with above. The gauge is good for seeing crude trends and relative changes, but not for anything absolute or even comparative from one guy's car to another.

FWIW, it's been awhile since I looked at the gauge on my 88, but IIRC it does have numbers with hash marks in between. Isn't the range 130 to 270 or something like that?

It has two hashmarks with numbers 130 at the bottom and 270 at the top. And again I UNDERSTAND its not worth looking at for accuracy, but my question was never answered. Does each hashmark stand for an increment in degrees all the way to the top of N O R M A L.

It has two hashmarks with numbers 130 at the bottom and 270 at the top. And again I UNDERSTAND its not worth looking at for accuracy, but my question was never answered. Does each hashmark stand for an increment in degrees all the way to the top of N O R M A L.

Yes it does. You answered your own question.