5.0 to sohc 5.4 swap

bootheelrzr

Dec 25, 2010
bought a 95 gt theft recovery with a clean title. missing the motor, auto trans. but the engine computer and all the harness is still there. i have access to a low miles sohc 5.4, auto trans, engine comp. and complete harness to make it run. im wanting to build a turbo street/strip car. would this be a simple swap? any info on this kinda swap would be helpful and appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

What year is the 5.4 and computer? It should be a pretty simple swap. I dont know your level of experience so it always depends on that plus your patience for trouble shooting. Mechanically speaking it will be a pretty simple swap. Not sure about the drive shaft length but should be easy enough. You may want to beef that tranny up if you plan to add turbo and beat the crap out of it at the strip. Also depending on HP you will also want to beef up the 8.8 as this will be a weak point if you add a lot of HP and build up the tranny. Go to 31 spline axles and do yourself a favor and do the 9" end swap to get rid of the "C" clip. If not for anything else for safety reasons. If you like I can provide some links on how to do that but its not hard to find if you just google building a strong 8.8.

You need a 4.6L k-member and hydroboost swap. Maybe a 4.6 radiator/fan? You'll also need a 4.6L oil pan and pickup tube. The 5.4 is huge, but it'll fit. I've done a 4.6L to 5.4L swap before, it's pretty simple.

The 5.4L SOHC is a torque monster with no top end. With VT Stage 1 cams and stock PI heads/intake it made 260rwhp and peaked around 4800rpm.

so im assuming they come alive with boost or something? Or are there some super heads out there that wake it up?

I dont see why you would go through the trouble :shrug:

You need aftermarket or ported heads, better intake, and bigger cams. It's the same theory as "302 parts on 351 = 302 power". You can make 300-320rwhp with a 5.4L 2V n/a with the right parts. I think the stock 4.6L intake combined with the small adapter plates to make it fit is what kills the top end power. At the time we did the swap there wasn't an affordable 5.4 intake available.

Here's the dyno sheet. You can see it's done making power by 4500 rpm. Fun street car stoplight to stoplight, but disappointing on the track. Which is why this car now has a built 4.6L 2V with KB. ;)

shawndyno.jpg

Was just expecting more...i know 302s/351w are old technology. That just seems to be a crazy expensive swap for so little power. Especially in todays standards of factory power.

I really hope ford throws the new 5.0 in a lot of stuff....so the junkyards sell them for cheap. I know 90% of guys hate the LSX swap...but it simply makes sense for the hp/$ spent. You can get a 5.3L for cheaper than a 90s explorer motor...and make a TON more power lol. If ford can manage to give us that advantage the LSX swap will no longer be something mustang guys want.

There are two main problems with the 5.4L, weight and 2V. Look what happens when you add 4V and a blower, easy 500+rwhp. Also the 2000 R had 375hp n/a from a 4V 5.4L. The aluminum block is something like 75-100# lighter, which was good for 3 seconds on a road course in the '11 GT500.

The new 5.0L looks to solve all those problems other than physical size. It weighs about the same as the LS engines and makes similar or more power, but it's still huge. The LSx is about the size of the old 5.0L and makes a ton of power. That's why it's being swapped into everything, it fits in everything.

I know the new F-150's get the new 5.0L engine, so hopefully there will plenty of them around in a few years. I know I've thought about that swap for my car.

Yes size Ofcourse aides the desire to swap it...

But anything makes power with boost lol. Boost a STOCK 5.3l Lsx (whatever their name is in the family) and what do ya get?

The 5.0 performs. But I'm not sure if they can outdo the LSX family....the 5.0 doesn't have the cubes.

For instance, you could run a 6.2l out of an escalade for cheaper Than a new 5.0....and outpower it. N/A Ofcourse.

LS1s from 97 did and do 400rwhp all day long. Lol

The new 5.0 finally gives ford respect for n/a power. But it's not king. It's just...respectable. It holds it's own.

I just mentioned the boost thing because I couldn't think of a na 5.4 other than the 2000 R. How about this:
2000 R = 5.4L 4V na 385 hp
01 Lighting = 5.4L 2V sc 380 hp
03 Cobra = 4.6L 4V sc 390 hp
10 GT500 = 5.4L 4V sc 540 hp
You can see the 2V heads are a huge restriction on the 5.4L engines. Good for lots of torque, which is why it was only in trucks.

11 GT = 5.0L 412 hp
11 Camaro = 6.2L 426 hp
Stock vs. stock the 5.0 is very respectable now. We all know the LS engines respond very well to mods, we don't really know how far the 5.0 can go yet NA. I know with exhaust, cai, and tune 400+rwhp is possible. Of course the old LS1 can get close to that with just a cam swap...

How did this turn into a LSx vs. Ford thread? lol

Lol me mentioning I hope ford puts the 5.0 in a lot of trucks/vans like GM has done the LS family.

And yea stock for stock...especially in each vehicle....the mustang is the performer. I was just looking at it from a engine swap point of view...not buying the cars new.

I'm really interested in seeing the options for more power in the 5.0 in the next few years. Has anyone swapped cams yet? Any power there?

I honestly don't recommend the swap. It's a ton of work and money for not a whole lot of gain. You'll do better tracking down a 5.0 engine for the car, and putting some good parts on it.

You don't need a 9" rear. That's a waste of money. You don't need 31 spline axles either.

Kurt