5.0L Valvetrain Questions

Forgive me for some simple questions but I couldn't find the information that I need. I have a stock block 5.0L in a 95 GT and wanted to know the stock stamped rocker arm length is it 1.5 or 1.6? I see many with 1.7 roller rockers but are those recommended for aftermarket cams on stock pistons? I have read that at some point the pistons need to be notched but is that with a mild or wiild cam? I was considering a mild Comp Cam or TFS Stage 1 cam when I get heads and intake.

• Sponsors (?)

Forgive me for some simple questions but I couldn't find the information that I need. I have a stock block 5.0L in a 95 GT and wanted to know the stock stamped rocker arm length is it 1.5 or 1.6? I see many with 1.7 roller rockers but are those recommended for aftermarket cams on stock pistons? I have read that at some point the pistons need to be notched but is that with a mild or wiild cam? I was considering a mild Comp Cam or TFS Stage 1 cam when I get heads and intake.

Stock ratio is 1.6:1 but because of the stamped steel they flex a lot.

A lot of guys run 1.7 rockers with a stock cam to help get a little more lift. I never understood why guys would buy 1.7 rockers and use them on an aftermarket cam? That's the point in replacing your cam with aftermarket, to get the desired lift you want with the duration designed into that cams specific lift.

I never understood why guys would buy 1.7 rockers and use them on an aftermarket cam?

Because, in addition to the lift, the duration and overlap characteristics of the cam change with the 1.7 rockers compared to the 1.6's. The 1.7's will allow the specs of the cam to be optimized for a specific engine combination.

I have an 87 with an E303 cam and I run 1.7 rollers with that and have no problems. The 1.7 rollers with a hotter cam like the E303 can benefit from the 1.7's. If you notice , the 1.7 cobra rollers are cheaper than 1.6's. I don't know why .but they are.

The cam creates the desired performance and powerband of the engine, but the rockers can tweak those characteristics. If you lift the valve with a 1.7 rocker, the valve will come off it's seat before it would with a 1.6 rocker. This will make the valve duration longer. Since the duration is longer the the overlap will increase too. The bigger advantage of using higher ratio rockers is that you can run a milder cam lobe and still have good valve action. Also, since the lifter has more mass than the rockers and valves, the higher ratio can help with high rpm stability and prevent valve float.

The rockers change cartain characteristics of the engine that cannot be ground into the cam.