5 Lug Conversion

USCGunner

Jun 10, 2017
Idaho
Hi all as you probably guessed I am new to the Fox Body world in the 70's and 80's I owned MOPARS and can work on them in my sleep. So my question is I have a 91 convertible with stock everything and 100,000 miles on the clock. I have been thinking about switching to a 5 lug set up. My question is I don't plan to race it just cruse in the summer is it worth the money to change? Thanks to all in advance

• Sponsors (?)

I’ve never done it, I might in the future though. There are some better rotors and pads you can upgrade to and those make a little difference. I have Hawk pads and drilled and slotted rotors on my 88. Feels better. My car isn’t a daily driver, weekend car at best. Mustang5l5 has a pretty detailed tech thread on the conversion.

Stock brakes on a fox barely get the job done in a panic stop from high speed. They warp easily and then remind you of the issue every time you go for a spin afterwards. 4 lugs on 5 spoke rims just looks wrong. So, with four lugs, I prefer wheels with centercaps that cover the lugs.

Cobra 13" front rotors, dual piston calipers and 11.65" rear rotors are a night and day upgrade. I feel much safer and confident with them. No fox I own again will retain stock brakes.

Last edited:
two things

• Tires have a dramatic impact on a car's braking ability.Get good tires
  • You can also significantly upgrade your 4 lug braking by installing the MM brake upgrade- it includes Hawk pads, shoes,SS caliper buhings and SS brake hoses.

Instaling 4 wheel disc brakes will not shorten the distance it takes for your car to stop, but it will reduce brake fade

Reactions: 2 users
The only reason I can see to change is for wheel options and or track car brake upgrade. I like the pony wheels on mine so I don't see the lugs. I have ran my car for several track days with stock brakes with higher temp range pads and shoes with minimum fade. The track I've ran on is pretty fast so not real hard on brakes, twistier course would probably need better brakes for heat dissipation. I can lock up the brakes so again tires matter. Many guys have some pretty big HP drag cars with no problems with 4 lugs. Be sure brakes are in good order and fresh fluid occasionally, I flush some fresh fluid through after every track day.