Brakes 5 lug SN95 Spindle part numbers.

I'm researching what parts to buy at Auto Parts stores to do the "Big Brake" 5-lug conversion on my 1986. I'm getting a bit confused on what the differences may be on a few Front calipers and have this list. I already purchased the 13" rotors, hub, hub nut, dust cap and dust shield. I bought pads (and hope they are right) Now for the calipers it appears there are several choices and I'm not seeing the difference. Here is what I found:

Maximum Mpotorsports says that PBR calipers for V6, V8 and GT changed in 1999 where the spindles from 99-'04 have a larger spread to accept larger calipers.

I want to use the 13" rotors, so the included information about the GT brakes is only because I collected it. I'd like to know what part numbers to order for the 13 inch brakes (and if you know, why?) Why are there 3 different part numbers for the Cobra brakes?

Front Caliper R With bracket DuraLast 18-B4766 twin 1.59 " aluminum pistons SVT Cobra 1999-2001
Front Caliper R With bracket DuraLast 18-B4884 twin 1.59 " aluminum pistons
Front Caliper R With bracket DuraLast 18-B4888 twin 1.59" aluminum pistons Cobra SVT 10th anniversary, 2003- 2004

Front Caliper L With bracket DuraLast 18-B4767 twin 1.59 " aluminum pistons SVT Cobra 1999-2001
Front Caliper L With bracket DuraLast 18-B4885 twin 1.59 " aluminum pistons
Front Caliper L With bracket DuraLast 18-B4889 twin 1.59" aluminum pistons Cobra SVT 10th anniversary, 2003- 2004

Front Caliper R With bracket DuraLast 18-B4722 twin 1.77" phenolic pistons 1999-2002 V6, V8
Front Caliper R With bracket DuraLast 18-B4838 twin 1.772" pistons 2003-2004 V6, V8

Front Caliper L With bracket DuraLast 18-B4723 twin 1.77" phenolic pistons 1999-2002 V6, V8
Front Caliper L With bracket DuraLast 18-B4839 twin 1.772" pistons 2003-2004 V6, V8

• Sponsors (?)

I'm researching what parts to buy at Auto Parts stores to do the "Big Brake" 5-lug conversion on my 1986. I'm getting a bit confused on what the differences may be on a few Front calipers and have this list. I already purchased the 13" rotors, hub, hub nut, dust cap and dust shield. I bought pads (and hope they are right) Now for the calipers it appears there are several choices and I'm not seeing the difference. Here is what I found:

Maximum Mpotorsports says that PBR calipers for V6, V8 and GT changed in 1999 where the spindles from 99-'04 have a larger spread to accept larger calipers.

I want to use the 13" rotors, so the included information about the GT brakes is only because I collected it. I'd like to know what part numbers to order for the 13 inch brakes (and if you know, why?) Why are there 3 different part numbers for the Cobra brakes?

Front Caliper R With bracket DuraLast 18-B4766 twin 1.59 " aluminum piston
SVT Cobra 1999-2001
Front Caliper R With bracket DuraLast 18-B4884 twin 1.59 " aluminum pistons
Front Caliper R With bracket DuraLast 18-B4888 twin 1.59" aluminum pistons Cobra SVT 10th anniversary, 2003- 2004

Front Caliper L With bracket DuraLast 18-B4767 twin 1.59 " aluminum pistons SVT Cobra 1999-2001
Front Caliper L With bracket DuraLast 18-B4885 twin 1.59 " aluminum pistons
Front Caliper L With bracket DuraLast 18-B4889 twin 1.59" aluminum pistons Cobra SVT 10th anniversary, 2003- 2004

Front Caliper R With bracket DuraLast 18-B4722 twin 1.77" phenolic pistons 1999-2002 V6, V8
Front Caliper R With bracket DuraLast 18-B4838 twin 1.772" pistons 2003-2004 V6, V8

Front Caliper L With bracket DuraLast 18-B4723 twin 1.77" phenolic pistons 1999-2002 V6, V8
Front Caliper L With bracket DuraLast 18-B4839 twin 1.772" pistons 2003-2004 V6, V8

Are the prices all the same? Always go for the cobra stuff over v6 anything. Also make sure you get a matching master cylinder.. the cobra one is valved differently and helps a lot.. if you leave the gt one on the brakes will feel softer and sponge ish.

You mentioned spindles in the title. Are you still looking for those, or do you have a set?
I have a set of 94/95 spindles, which I believe are the preferred years if you have a stock K-member.
Here are the part numbers off of those:
image.jpg

I’m collecting parts for a swap on an 86 myself, but I’m going with the ‘99 PBR calipers to start. I’ll help where I can, but you’ll probably do better, and get more responses in the Fox Tech, rather than the 94/95.
Sometimes the powers that be here can help out and move your thread if they see it belongs somewhere else.

But here’s a great place for info as well

Reactions: 1 user
The main differences in the calipers you list is the pitch of the banjo bolt. There's a coarse and a fine pitch bolts for both styles of Cobra and GT calipers.

The reason there are three Cobra calipers is fine pitch banjo, coarse pitch banjo, and the red painted 10th anniversary calipers.

Cobra calipers will fit any of the spindles

The 99-04 GT/v6 calipers will fit the 96-04 spindles with no mods, and the 94-95 spindles if you clearance the mounting ears a tad.

On a fox with stock k member, you want the 94/95 spindles. The reason is placement of the steering rack in relation to tie rod end location. Do not use 96/04 spindles

The 94-95 spindles will start with an F4 or F5 part number.

96/04 spindles start with F6 or X3 part number

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Rdub6 , there's a 95 at the local Pick a part I was going to go get the spindles there. Then for big brakes, I wanted a 99-04 set as well. I plan on the QA1 K-member which should work with that one. Allows for bigger calipers. But the whole point to this thread is what caliper part numbers to get. Apparently the 2 piston V6, V8, GT calipers are larger than the Cobra calipers so maybe not even needed...

The main differences in the calipers you list is the pitch of the banjo bolt. There's a coarse and a fine pitch bolts for both styles of Cobra and GT calipers.

The reason there are three Cobra calipers is fine pitch banjo, coarse pitch banjo, and the red painted 10th anniversary calipers.

Cobra calipers will fit any of the spindles

The 99-04 GT/v6 calipers will fit the 96-04 spindles with no mods, and the 94-95 spindles if you clearance the mounting ears a tad.

On a fox with stock k member, you want the 94/95 spindles. The reason is placement of the steering rack in relation to tie rod end location. Do not use 96/04 spindles

The 94-95 spindles will start with an F4 or F5 part number.

96/04 spindles start with F6 or X1 part number

Awesome! now that makes sense. I wonder if the Duralast folks know that about the 10th anniversary and actually sell calipers that say "Cobra" on them that are painted red as they are re manufactured calipers.

Awesome! now that makes sense. I wonder if the Duralast folks know that about the 10th anniversary and actually sell calipers that say "Cobra" on them that are painted red as they are re manufactured calipers.

Doubtful. Plenty of guys have ordered Cobra or bullitt or Mach calipers and gotten a assortment of finished and such. Keep in mind all their remans start as a core so they just rebuild what they get

Doubtful. Plenty of guys have ordered Cobra or bullitt or Mach calipers and gotten a assortment of finished and such. Keep in mind all their remans start as a core so they just rebuild what they get
I think i'll go to O'reillys with the three part numbers to at least check the fine vs. Course part numbers unless that is documented somewhere on the forum here already. Most of that 10th anniversay part number is coming up as out of stock. Makes sense.

I Bought the calipers at PepBoys with a 25% off sale. I'm keeping track of everything I bought. Part numbers, Vendor, price. Will post when I've got everything and it's all together. The kits have to be much easier, but I like squeezing pennies until Lincoln cries. I can see, so far, that I'm saving a lot. Not so sure if it's worth the time doing all the research though. The front calipers did have the raised Cobra lettering in the Aluminum casting. They also came with all of the hardware, including the brackets, banjo bolts, copper washers, pins, e-clips and clips for the pads. So I'll return the hardware kits I bought at Advance. Now looking for paint, spindles, hoses and I'll have everything for the fronts. I'm going to rebuild the 8.8, not just putting in 5 lug axles so that will cost quite a bit.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll have to look when I get home to the specific brand of paint I used. I thought it was duplicolor.

I sprayed my base, let it dry a few days, applied the decal, and then cleared. Let it dry a few more days and then I installed.

2 years ago and maybe 500 miles or so on them and they still look like that.

Reactions: 2 users