5 lug swap...

nugget68

Sep 26, 2005
Hey guys, this is my first post over here...I am over on the Classic forum, I have a 68...anyway. I just scored a free 8.8 out of a Fox body for my 68. I also have an 8.8 out of a 2001 Ranger Edge w/ 4.10 trac loc. The ranger rear has 31 splines too. Can I use the short axle out of it and swap over the gears and 31 spline trac loc? If not will 28 spline axles work with the 31 spline trac loc? I dont have the Fox rear yet so I dont know if it is trac loc or not...Thanks in advance!!
Ryan

• Sponsors (?)

the fox rear should have trac lok, althought it might be worn out and need a rebuild.. 31 spline differential's need 31 spline axles, end of story.. strange engineering makes some stonger ones, as well as other companies.. oh yeah NICE 68! those mach 1's fit pretty well

the fox rear should have trac lok, althought it might be worn out and need a rebuild.. 31 spline differential's need 31 spline axles, end of story.. strange engineering makes some stonger ones, as well as other companies.. oh yeah NICE 68! those mach 1's fit pretty well

Thanks...the pic of my 68 is a photo shop, but it does have those wheels on it...I am reworking the front suspension right now to try and get the stance that is in the phot chop. after that I will begin on the 8.8 swap...

The 8.8 front the ranger has the wrong lenght axles.

You can swap the 31 spline carrier over, but you will need to buy 31-spline axles.

Also, for drum, if you go 5-lug you will need 9" drums frona ranger with a 7.5" axle.