5L crank bolt size?

rculjak

Founding Member
Jan 29, 2001
Hey guys, does anyone know off hand what size the bolt inside the crank pulley is, it looks like a 12pt maybe 3/4" socket, I want to turn the engine over, its on a stand and its been sitting for awhile, thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Mine is a 6 point 15/16" deep socket. I just finished replacing the harmonic balance yesterday after it spun because the rubber deteriorated.

My incompetence was bothering me more than normal (I didn't remember the head being that big). If you have an ARP bolt like I do, it is a 12 pt head that takes an 11/16" socket.

It should take some decent force to break it loose (JR can tell you the exact spec). I use a 1/2" drive 18" breaker bar with a 1/2" drive deep socket.

Unless you have air tools with decent torque, you'll need to lock the driveline or the engine will turn over.

Good luck.

rculjak said:
the engine is on a stand fully assembled, not in the car. I got a 11/16ths 12pt socket but this is too big, maybe one smaller size? Maybe metric?
It should be easy enough to toss your assortment of sockets onto the crankbolt and see what size the head is. I had actually gone out to the garage and checked the head on the ARP bolt, so that info should be accurate in atleast some instances. I don't know how many different bolt head sizes they use. :shrug:

Good luck.

Perhaps a quick call to ARP can let you know what the various sizes are. :shrug: I did double check mine and it's definitely 11/16".
If funds allow, having a full set of 12 point sockets is a great thing to have anyhow.

Sorry to not be of more help.
Good luck.

TBS - your info looks good. I just looked at ARP's site and it lists the thread dimension and head as 5/8". I don't know if mine is older or what but it's definately an 11/16" socket/head. 5/8" won't fit and it's between two metric sizes.

I don't know why mine is weird but I apologize for having a goofball fastener and leading you guys astray. I should have just looked on ARP's site in the first place (it would have been easier than going outside and putting sockets on the crank bolt I have).

TBS - your info looks good. I just looked at ARP's site and it lists the thread dimension and head as 5/8". I don't know if mine is older or what but it's definately an 11/16" socket/head. 5/8" won't fit and it's between two metric sizes.

I don't know why mine is weird but I apologize for having a goofball fastener and leading you guys astray. I should have just looked on ARP's site in the first place (it would have been easier than going outside and putting sockets on the crank bolt I have).

You are forgiven my son!! :D