6 by 9s rear in 90 vert

gerbel01

Founding Member
May 11, 2002
Mid Michigan
Hi, i have some 3 way pioneer 6 by 9s sitting around at my house and one of my rear speakers just gave up. I was wondering if anyone had modified that cover in the rear to allow for the installation of a 6 by 9 speaker, or if its too much trouble and i'd be better off just getting a nice set of 6 by 8s. If its been done, i was wondering if anyone had any pictures or advice. thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Never done it. I've considered mounting a couple 8" subs on the center part of the deck though. As flat as it is, it seems you should be able to drill some new mounting holes, and they should sit level. Let us know.

Ourobos said:
Never done it. I've considered mounting a couple 8" subs on the center part of the deck though. As flat as it is, it seems you should be able to drill some new mounting holes, and they should sit level. Let us know.

well problum is i dont really feel like messing with that cover for the speaker unless i know what im doing. im thinking a new set of speakers would be my best bet.

I did 6.25s in the back of my 90 GT. I just used large diameter flat washers to retain the speakers onto the grill. I don't have any pics, but may be able to get some in a few days. Thing is a good 6.25 will usually sound better than a good 6x9.

Another issue to consider is the depth of the speaker. My GT has a brace that interferes with a deep speaker.

jason

Are the rear armrests, etc different in a 90 than an 88? I know they changed slightly in later years, but I dont know when.

on my 88, I had to REALLY shoehorn 6X9's. I would NOT do it again. The plastic panel does not help to get any more sound out really (definately no base help since there is not metal back there).

Were I doing it again, I would use some 6.5's and call it a day. Just my experience with it (I dont have nearly the patience that many of you do). :)

Good luck.

To help with the dullness in the sound because of the plastic paneling, I stuffed as much cotton (pillow stuffing) into the hole as I could before installing the speaker. You could also Dynamat around the speaker location. You could probably apply the Dynamat with the panel still in the car.